Remember me
Lost Password Register

CANCUN Diver swims ashore after 10 hours at sea
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2006, 02:06 PM by tullibee.)
Re: CANCUN Diver swims ashore after 10 hours at sea
I suspect Joe is thinking one of the dye markers would have been a good idea  (one-time use, fairly cheap)

and a good small strobe:

I've got one of these, luckily I haven't had to use it!  they've also got a bigger one with 3 AA and a long burn time, but it's quite a bit bigger (~10" or so).  this model can be stowed very easily.

my SMB has SOLAS tape, my magna-doodle has a mirror glued to the back, whistle & dive alert on BC, usually at least one flashlight in BC pocket, and often have a collapsable flask of water in pocket too.  I hope I never have to actually rely on any of it though!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
12-29-2006, 01:10 PM,
The EPIRB unit is a great feature on the dive BOAT but as of yet is too bulky and not water proof enough to wear on the diver!! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-29-2006, 01:58 PM,
Mrs. arcFlash again ;D:
I did find a few personal sized EPIRB's with GPS for sale that say they are small enough to "wear on a pfd" or holster and is waterproof but not sure about underwater capability... for PLB's either.

I thought Maxfactor was asking for 2 additional items that the diver could have used and must have been reading posts out of order because I thought the mirror suggestion was prior to the '2 more items'.  Oops! Yes,  a signal mirror could/should be one. But what if it was a cloudy dreary day or raining (he was catching rain to drink in his mask as I recall). Or if it was super sunny, the water could reflect quite a bit and mask the mirror signal from an aerial view.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-29-2006, 04:15 PM,
I agree with the strobe and dye marker. I think they would have been a great help to the search teams even if it was cloudy and raining.

Greg
We don`t quit playing because we grow old,,,,We grow old because we quit playing!!
12-30-2006, 09:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2006, 09:11 AM by MAXFACTOR.)
IS THAT YOUR FINAL ANSWER.

ok.  Well your collective minds have proven that two minds are better then one, and more are key to solving the total solution.

In order of answers  the following divers get A's

wtrm                    Mirror                    A
dairyqueen          Safety Sausage     A
corndogg2           for comments         A
                            and contributions
                            plus (your hair
                            needs the mirror).
MRS.ArcFlash        ELT/PLB                A+
Mr. ArcFLash         Mirror                   A    Steve looks like your wife   
                                                               is smarter!
Tullibee                 DyeMarker           A+
                             good small strobe A+
We will be carring all in the shop and on the site. 
The SAFETY SAUAGE SHOULD BE 2 COLORED YELLOW AND ORANGE.
MIRROR.  SELF EXPLANATORY
HORN.     SELF EXPLANATORY

DYE
The dye basically will stain the water trail for approx. 2 days, even in current it leaves a nice long path.  follow the path, you find the diver.  Even in high seas, and or very choppy water. The diver moves faster then the water molecules but continues to leave a follow me trail.  NO ENVIROMENTAL PROBLEMS EITHER.

Strobe.  self explantory.. very inexpensive. and a necessary item when diving ocean. and great lakes. 

Portable position beacon.  once you break the seal, and twist it open, its starts sending out a ping to the satelites and radio signals that the coast guard, miliary, and all response teams listen to.  It is accepted as an auotmatic distress signal and everyone will be dispatched to your location.  The authorities then will call all boaters in the area.  It will put your positon to within inches.   Bottom line is, you'll be picked up within an hour.

Great job to all that posted, and I will let you know when the shop gets some of these guys in stock.

maxfactor   
12-31-2006, 04:05 PM,
Maxfactor,
She most likely is... Maybe that's why I have to pay for her equipment as well as mine?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.