Remember me
Lost Password Register

lake superior book
12-30-2006, 05:09 PM,
lake superior book
i'm looking to start doing some lake superior diving this upcoming summer.  does anyone know of a good book that maps out some good destinations reachable from shore without a boat?  any other suggestions for good scuba reading?
12-30-2006, 06:55 PM,
Re: lake superior book
This isn't a book, per se, but it has some interesting reading:
, from the Minnesota Historical Society, has a list of the Lake Superior shipwrecks that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  They don't mention how easy it is to dive all these wrecks, but I'm sure the local dive shops could provide some more info.

A few sentences from the caught my eye:
"Local historians and sports divers recall that many artifacts were removed from the ship in 1958 or 1959, including deadeyes and tackle blocks, deck equipment, small hand tools, and iron belaying pins. ... In recent years, divers have reportedly removed some of the ship's red oak deck planking to make furniture and picture frames. There is little left at the site that can be easily pried, pulled, or sawn loose."  It sort of makes it hard to really get the full impact of a wreck when people have pulled pieces off of it.  It's like taking stones out of the Stone Arch Bridge because they'd look nice on your lawn.

I'm hoping to get up to Lake Superior this summer to explore some of these wrecks, especially the ones on the National Register.  Besides, I need pictures so I can write Wikipedia articles about them.
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM,
sounds good.  i'll take a look at that reference.  yeah i'm just getting into diving.  i got certified on a cruise and dove at christmas lake last summer a few times just getting some practice in.  i'm hoping to start doing some more interesting local diving and had hoped to get out to some easy to get to superior dive sites.
12-31-2006, 03:42 AM,
Call Ron Benson at Going Under Dive Center, he's the guy to talk to about anything Superior.
12-31-2006, 10:06 AM,
Chris Kohl has a great book out called The Great Lakes Diving Guide. Awesome book for information on diving the lakes. 
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM,
Check out Ken Merryman's website. He has information on Isle Royale, Minn. Northshore, Whitefish Bay, and the Straits of Mackinac.
01-05-2007, 06:30 PM,

Elkman
If you want to take pictures and write articles you should contact the GLSPS.
They have a Shipwreck Documentation Commitee headed by Pete McConnell.
This year the Preservation will be in the water and used for these type of projects.
If you work with them you will get to go out to the shipwrecks.
Sounds like a win win deal.
Bob