Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pockets on a wetsuit
01-03-2007, 11:31 AM,
Pockets on a wetsuit
I'm reflecting on gear for my cave class and I'm going to need a pocket for the arrows and stuff.

I would like something like shorts with pockets that go over whatever wetsuit I'm wearing that day. Do they make such a thing? I would like the pockets with Velcro.

I've seen the belt pocket but with a weight belt and BC belt it's too much around my 30 inch waist.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM,
Re: Pockets on a wetsuit
Dive X-Tras offers a product called X-Shorts which are a 2mm neoprene pair of shorts with large velcro closure drysuit style bellows pockets glued on.  They are made to be worn over wetsuits.  I cannot find them listed on their website products list though but you can see a small picture of them on the main page link that I have posted below.  You might want to contact them and see if they have any available.
01-03-2007, 02:16 PM,
Another option is the DiveRite pocket that attaches to the thigh with elastic straps.  Shown on page 11 of the PDF catalog link below.
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM,
The x-shorts sound the most secure but then the DiveRite has better adjustments. The last thing I want is to lose my shorts at 90 feet...  ;D

Thanks for the help.
01-03-2007, 10:11 PM,
You could also add one or two drysuit pockets to your existing wet suit.  Steve Gamble lives near cave country, and works on a lot of drysuits, yet dived wet.  I'm sure he added pockets to his wetsuit.  You could contact him, send your suit down there, let him know when you need the suit, and swing by his house the day before class (though look at a map to his house before heading over there, I got really lost one night trying to find his house).

Here is a link to his website - 

Or, what I would do, is dive in your drysuit (which probably has pockets, if not, I'd have them added).  In cave class you will spend a lot of time in the water.  72 degree water temps may seem warm, but not when you are in it all day.  - Kirk
01-04-2007, 11:24 AM,
My dry suit doesn't have them yet. I was going to get them but it's a Viking and they have some silly thing with a buckle and they look small.

I'm struggling with what to wear. I know the dry is way better but I can kick better in my wet and I can pack it on the plane easier.

Thanks for the warning. I'll rethink things but ether way I'll need a pocket.

01-04-2007, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2007, 12:27 PM by LKunze.)
If you dive wet a lot then Kirk's suggestion is a good one but if you will mostly be diving dry then it would be hard to justify spending the amount of money to buy and permanently install pockets on a wetsuit.  It's worth every penny for the drysuit but unless you plan to dive wet a lot I wouldn't go that route.  The X-Shorts if they are still available or the DR pockets would probably be your best options in my opinion since you can use them again if you ever replace your wetsuit when it wears out.
01-04-2007, 01:05 PM,
I'm leaning towards the DR pockets because they would solve the dry suit problem as well as my shorty for the carib.

01-04-2007, 02:32 PM,
The water is a lot colder than you think.  I froze in 70 degree water with a cheap 3mil.  I'll never dive wet in a cave again. You gotta go dry.  Are you wearing a BC or harness?  If you're driving down, I'd bring everything you have.  On the first day of class the instructor will throw your rig in the river and then tell you to start over with what they want you to use. I would go prepared and definately go dry. Are you planning on diving a BC or wing/harness setup?

Also, I want to go but it's not a top priority right now.  You goin' alone?
01-04-2007, 07:09 PM,
The Dive X web site does have the glue on bellows pockets if the shorts aren`t available.  They look like a good way to go if you don`t mind having them permenantly attatched to your wetsuit.

Greg
We don`t quit playing because we grow old,,,,We grow old because we quit playing!!