Remember me
Lost Password Register

One of Our Own...
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM,
One of Our Own...
Makes today's paper up in Duluth...
Congratulations Flyboy65! The  drysuit looks good!

Scroll down to the Crib/Diver story and click on the link!

enjoy~

01-11-2007, 05:52 AM,
Re: One of Our Own...
That Apollo drysuit is 12 to 15 years old.  My dive buddy Paul GAVE it to me when he bought his Whites drysuit.  A trip to the repair shop at MSD, and a couple of seals, and it's great, and it fits me very well.  I'm like, the third or fourth owner!
01-11-2007, 07:33 AM,
Dang, if I would have made it up I could have been on the news, LOL!
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM,
It's been alot of fun following the emails that are fowarded from the GLSPS president, and also the director at the maritime museum...old newspaper articles, etc.
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM,
Can anybody post the copy from the article so I don't have to register for an account? Smile
--Jason
01-11-2007, 10:30 PM,
If there hadn't have been so many people around, I would have picked up the copy of the paper at work....

But seriously, registering for the account isn't that painful!!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-12-2007, 05:18 AM,

Mystery crib’s story still unknown
Jana Hollingsworth Duluth News Tribune
Published Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The saga of the mysterious crib that washed ashore on Lake Superior in December continues, and its origin will decide whether to preserve it or chop it up for firewood.
A team of divers explored an area — the old harbor breakwater cribs — behind Duluth’s Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Saturday afternoon to test a theory.
Local divers were certain the 50-foot long timber structure emerged from a line of cribbing built in the 1870s that supported a wharf for Elevator A in Duluth. But after measuring, studying and photographing the underwater cribs, the theory doesn’t stack up.
“The one on shore is practically brand-new compared to the ones in the water,” said Steve Daniel, president of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society, one of four who dived Saturday. “The hardware — bolts — look newer onshore than in the water … the ones in the water are really weathered, deteriorated.”
The underwater cribs, which extend at an angle for about 200 yards and 20 feet deep to a red buoy, were 30 feet wide, and the crib on shore is 20 feet wide.
Divers recall that the 55-foot gap in the line of cribs — what made some first believe the crib originated in that area — had been noticed years before.
“This could be from anywhere in the harbor,” Daniel said, adding that the outer harbor was most likely.
More research is needed to pinpoint a location. Divers have heard of other underwater structures northeast of the cribs near the memorial, and plan to dive again soon.
“Now more than ever, I kind of want to find out what this thing is and where it came from,” said Jay Hanson, owner of Superior Scuba Center, who made the 45-minute dive Saturday in 37-degree water.
The crib rests on Minnesota land, and the Minnesota Department of Transportation is taking responsibility for it. The crib is staying put for now. MnDOT recently had plans to dismantle it and have a salvager haul it away, but Mayor Herb Bergson asked the state to hold off until more is known about the pine structure, said Tom Kasper, lead worker for the city’s street and park maintenance division.
“Where it came from is going to have an impact on what happens with it,” he said. “If there were no historic connection I think it would be less important.”
Many groups are interested in it, including the Minnesota Historical Society and the Lake Superior Maritime Museum Association, Kasper said, and MnDOT said it would allow time for more exploration.
“The structure is in excellent condition,” Daniel said. “It would be nice if they could find a home for it.”

01-12-2007, 10:02 AM,
being that i dont know where the memorial is..could someone give me an idea of where this thing is
deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-14-2007, 10:25 AM,
It is immediately below the Fitger's parking ramp, and a little south, off Superior Street, here in Duluth.
01-14-2007, 10:39 AM,
maybe i need to go for a walk today..Thanks
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????