Remember me
Lost Password Register

Weight belt for Dry suit use??
01-11-2007, 07:23 AM,
Weight belt for Dry suit use??
Hi,

I have been diving for 35 years and only picked up a Dry suit a couple of years ago. I have been using my 30 year old fixed weight belt that has the weights screwed in to the belt to prevent movement. When I use this old belt with my dry suit, it tends to slip around and the buckle ends up on my side. I have to add weights to the pocket of my HUB (BC) and since there is only a pocket on one side, I am a little lop-sided. I have decided to purchase a weight belt that I will use just for dry suit diving. What would be the best weight belt to use for dry suit diving? I have heard about some belts that would have neoprene in them to expand and contract. Are these any good?
01-11-2007, 07:32 AM,
Re: Weight belt for Dry suit use??
I just use a regular nylon belt with a zipper running across the top.  The belt has sewn dividers into it to make individual pockets and I use soft shot weights in it.  The only time it has slid around on me is when I did not cinch the belt tight enough around my waist.
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM,
Because of the weight I need to dive in the deep/cold and only using an AL80 I'm in the 27lb range. I use the zipper belt and didn't like it and it's hard to get that much into a belt that fits me. (i'm skinny and wear a lot of wool)

I went to a DUI (DOG DAY) and tried the "Weight & Trim" system and was sold. It carries the weight on the shoulders when you walk so it's not grinding my hips. The weight it very secure so I don't worry about a single buckle and losing my belt but it's ditchable like an integrated BC.

Because I don't have to have it tight around my waist I can hang it a little low and trim out perfect.

It holds up to #40 and it's a little bulky but a fair trade.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-12-2007, 03:52 PM,
When i dive a single 100 or 120 steel....i use 8 lbs on nylon belt with a stainless steel buckle..i have never had a problem with it falling.....and i have a bit of an overhang around the waist..still no problem...it is the last piece of equipment donned just prior to sitting into my harness and tank..so i dont walk around with it on..also the only time i am vertical in the water is getting off or on the boat......or maybe bobbing waiting to do one of those things..
Oops Did I really say that?????