Remember me
Lost Password Register

new diver in Duluth
01-23-2007, 09:53 AM,
new diver in Duluth
hey guys I was living in Maui for a couple of months and just got back.
while i was down there I received an open water dive certificate and im really anxious to use it.
do i need any additional training to dive up in MN? I would really like to get an advanced dive certificate and an ice diving certification as well.
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2007, 12:19 PM by LKunze.)
Re: new diver in Duluth
Welcome to the board.  Minnesota cold water diving is much different from the diving you did in Maui.  Dry suits are the norm around here and at a very minimum a 7mm wet suit is needed.  Duluth is a great location for diving.  Besides Lake Superior you also have Ore Be Gone, Lake Mine and St. James pits to dive which I believe are only around a 60 mile drive away from Duluth.  I'd recommend you talk to some of our Duluth members such as flyboy65 and see if you can join them for some dives.  As far as training goes you should definitely get an advanced certification.  The conditions are a bit more challenging and gear intensive than warm water diving but it's worth it.  Good luck!
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM,
thanks....I'm originally from the Iron Range I use to cliff jump at Or be gone so i think it would be really neat to dive there. I cant wait to dive Lake Superior. Im certified through I.A.N.T.D. I was told that PADI was really expensive to deal with and they were over rated.....im still new so I'm not sure if that is true. can anyone help me out on how i should continue my training?
01-23-2007, 02:46 PM,
I've had training through PADI, NAUI and TDI.  In my opinion the instructor is more important than the certification agency you choose.
01-23-2007, 03:40 PM,
Hi 808,

I can point you to some fun dives, some instructors, and help with gear.  I've been diving around Duluth for 3 1/2 years now.  I logged 57 dives last summer.  We get out on wrecks in the area, run up to the mines, and just fun dive in Lake Superior.

Yeah, I know about PADI (ie...Put Another Dollar In)  I'm currently working on my Divemaster certification, and am always willing to help with students.  I actually did my very first ice dive last weekend.  Ice Divers aren't really as nuts as I once thought they were!

I'm sure we'll be heading up to OreBGone in early April, once the ice is off, and the water has "turned".  Who knows what you may find up there...lots of bikes where the kids jump off the rocks.

01-23-2007, 05:00 PM,
I guess you will have to count me is as well...I too am from the range..Mt. Iron..and also grew up cliff ave done most of my diving in the great lakes..mostly Michigan..out of milwaukee..as i ran a dive charter there....have yet to dive ore-b-gone..but plan to...have done my work at wazee but have not dove this end of superior yet....but plan to.....I have connected with a couple of old friends from the area that are divers as well.....so i come with friends ;D

shoot me an IM and we can all hook up

i look forward to it
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????