Remember me
Lost Password Register

WOULD U DUMP YOUR GEAR AT SEA
01-29-2007, 09:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
WOULD U DUMP YOUR GEAR AT SEA
ok folks,  I have a question. 

I was reading an article which is attached,

SITUATION.  Jan 26, 2007   AUSTRAILIA...   2 divers who did a night dive, had they're 18 ft. run about slipped its anchor and floated away.  When they surfaced they were alone and  lost at sea...at night with no one even knowing where they are.  They were found alive the next day after a search was called for.

I don't understand why they would dump all they're scuba gear except they're fins and they're wet suits.  Can someone please tell me if I'm the only one who thinks that was stupid.

ie: presumably they had air,  use of bc would be helpful, compass, a bit more protection with tank incase of shark, knife in bc if they had one....  etc etc...   
would anyone on this board dump they're gear like these guys did? 
I sure as heck wouldn't.
What do you think?

MAXFACTOR
01-29-2007, 09:50 PM,
Re: WOULD U DUMP YOUR GEAR AT SEA
Didn't they do that in the movie "Open Water"?  I don't remember for sure.

I most certainly wouldn't, unless my tanks were totally out of air.  But even so, you could manually inflate your BCD...so...it doesn't make much sense. 

The only reason I could see, was that they decided to start swimming.  Or swim against a current...it had to so something with swimming.  Much easier w/o the bulk, huh?...any kind of exposure suit, for the most part, would provide some kind of buoyancy in the ocean, wouldn't it?  even a 2 or 3 mil?

01-29-2007, 10:18 PM,
I suppose it would depend on the situation...If I had my warm water Oceanic Regs, I'd dump the tank and regs, and keep the BC/Wing.  If I had my Poseidons...I'd have to think about it real hard  ;D

I saw a "I Shouldn't be alive" episode recently with a situation like this.  They kept their tanks, and I thought it was a bad idea, since they swam about 20 miles to get to shore.  Without the tank, they would have had MUCH greater buoyancy, and I would think less drag.  If I had less than a mile or 2, I would keep the tank I guess, especially if it had air.  I've seen that a tank valve opened just under the water can create a water spout about 30 ft in the air!  If the tank were low on air, or I was 20 miles out, I definitely would dump the tank, but keep the BC/wing.

BTW I've been on a night dive off the coast of North Carolina about 10 miles and come back to the place on the wreck the anchor line is supposed to be and it was missing!  We decided to surface at that point, even though we had more air.  Fortunately the ship captain was idling nearby ready to pick us up, but it made your heart stop for a second...

Jeff
Jeff
01-30-2007, 08:49 AM,
I saw that "I Shouldn't be alive" episode as well and I was talking at the TV the whole time telling them to ditch the tank,regs & belt. That's why we buy DAN insurance, right? They spent too much time waiting for help. I would have started for shore once I saw the boat leave.  Survival usually depend on those how try and help themselves. 

If you expect big waves on shore and/or you have to cross a reef, I'd think about keeping the tank to get under these problems.

Provided I had a wet suit, snorkel and compass, I ditch the gear and weight belt and make a run for shore.

Another "I Shouldn't be alive" episode in the Sea of Cortez a pilot swam 20 miles with only cheap fins and a child's PFD.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-30-2007, 04:42 PM,
I also saw that episode.  I would have ditched my weights for sure.  I would have kept the regs and/or belt as a lifeline to my buddy.  I also would have considered keeping my tank simply because it could help keep me upright in the water. I think their main concern with swimming was sharks.  Your run for shore may not get you very far depending on the current. 
--Jason
01-30-2007, 04:48 PM,
When I took my scuba class, I was taught that you can take off your B/C and sit on it as a chair (if the water is not too rough)  Otherwise, I would invert it so the tank is under my chest and ride it like a floatation cusion to keep my head up so I could see better...Probably requires an illustration...

Next time you are diving, try it before the end of the dive...It's O.K. to try new things!

But that's my thoughts anyway!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM,
So what you are saying is that you "69" your bc... ;D
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM,
Actually, I'm wondering why those two divers were diving off a boat that had nobody else aboard but themselves.  It's one thing if you dive from a boat that has a trained captain and others who can look for you if you lose the boat, but it's another thing entirely if the boat loses you and there's nobody else around.  I don't have any idea if diving from an unattended boat is standard practice in the open ocean.  It might be an okay idea to do it on a Minnesota lake (although I'd hate to fetch a boat blowing across Mille Lacs Lake), but I wouldn't dream of leaving a boat unattended in the ocean.  That was their first problem -- taking their gear off was secondary.  And, to top it off, they didn't tell anyone where they were going.
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM,
Not seeing the exact situation It's tough to make an informed decision.  However, I would Drop my weights, but keep my PC for added flotation.  If they dumped gear and got tired, then they'd sure as hell wish they had more flotation. If and when a search is underway, they'll predict current flow and should be able to arrange a search pattern.  Always tell someone where and when you're going and when you should be back is the 2nd rule of survival after "don't panic".
By keeping your BC you'll be able to get out of the water higher (to be spotted) as well as reserve your energy and reduce the risk of hypothermia.  I throw in a strobe/flashlight even for a day dive now as worst case, I'll be able to signal the plane at night.  If I decided to outlive my partner ;D, I'd take his/her BC and between the two BC's make a raft. 

Then Dream about a womens only cruiseship finding me.   
01-30-2007, 08:01 PM,
Well now that it's 50/50 lets add in the type of BC, We all think jacket but the reality is many of us use a back plate. I only own the AL backplace so if it was that close of a call I could alway take the air cell off the plate and reuse the tank bands to strap the cell to a leg and an arm. That way I still have the  flotation with as little drag as possible.

For as the sharks. A sailor once told me the sharks out at see eat anything but the closer to shore the more food the less likely they are to taste people so I'd still take may chances with a swim. Waiting hours or days for rescue that may not come is too depressing.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.