Remember me
Lost Password Register

dir discussions
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2007, 05:51 AM by LKunze.)
dir discussions
There is  nothing wrong with DIR. (divers ignoring reality)
Those folks take it to the xtreme, which is ok. However it is not the only way to dive. everybody has some things they like or dislike. As long as we learn from them all, I say no sweat.
01-30-2007, 08:05 AM,
Re: dir discussions
Sounds like you take it to the extreme in the other direction! Lighten Up

01-31-2007, 01:18 AM,
I would want to know why you feel that DIR divers are ignoring reality when they are some of the most prudent and safest trained divers? I'm asking this because I follow in the steps of the DIR methods and see no unrealistic training being involved. What I do see is too many individuals that cannot accept a standard protocol, similiar to those that have never been in the military, they just don't get it.

As for the extreme, how so? Wanting to have the best skills underwater in recreational or tech diving is not asking for much. I want to have the best time of my life in the water and know that my skills are second nature.

So you started it WTDRM, explain to me what is your definition of "divers ignoring reality"...

John P.
01-31-2007, 09:27 AM,
jpreston,  I agree with everything and every word you just said.  Although I haven't actually become the full DIR suited diver, I believe that I am following most of the standards and have the same general beliefs as the DIR diver.

I suspect the WTRM, was merely making a funny.  ALthough, sometimes he's not very funny.  Case in point.

Personally, I think if all divers adapted the DIR conception of diving, and even if they only practiced it 80 percent of the time, they would be a much better diver then the average recreational diver.

maxfactor
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM,
The original poster might be to get more people to post on this forum? For a long time all that was on this forum subject was JP's feedback on the 2005 GUE conference.
Not too many things to discuss in this forum about DIR. Most people I know who DIR don't have to defend the system because we know it works.

The concept of DIR is not that common in Minnesota.  If you took a poll of the LDSs in Minnesota, not too many know what DIR is. Heck, not too many LDSs in the USA know what DIR is. Case in point, They may have heard something about DIR but could not tell you what GUE is and the connection to DIR.

The politics in SCUBA is pretty nasty. It is much easier to say something bad about your competitor, it is really difficult to say something nice.

I have been the diving business since 1978. I learned about DIR/GUE from a former student who I have a lot of respect for. He came back from Grand Cayman and dove with a DIR/GUE operation down there. He researched it and we made our decisions on our research. We met the people behind the DIR concept. We agreed with the system and we started training with the DIR concept.

I am a better diver today because of it.

GUE does not have the exclusive on the concept. Some people out there have taken the DIR concept and used it in their own class programs (5th Dimension).

One last thing to throw in this subject. The quality control of GUE for instructor training is one of the highest,  if not the highest in the industry.  If I was 21 again and I had a choice to be an instructor, I would be a GUE instructor.

JIm

01-31-2007, 03:22 PM,
Jim, are you training the DIR concept exclusively in your tech training or are you carrying it over to recreational training levels as well?

01-31-2007, 03:54 PM,
I use a lot of stuff on the GUE website and related articles; I practice a lot on what they have to say.  As far as deep wreck penetration, caves, etc, I start with the base principals (i.e. DIR) and build off of there, depending on conditions of the wreck, which cave I'm diving next, so on and so forth. 

DIR simply forms a strong basis for all divers to maximize safety, but not much comfort in some areas.  The best is to mix the two.  By the way, neither of which involve egos, some people are better suited under the water Smile
01-31-2007, 04:00 PM,
Just curious by what you mean by not much comfort?
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM,
For instance the shoulder straps.  I have read from some sources that they like them to be a single piece, and have no adjustments such as clips to pull down on to get a snug fit.

I have dove that way, but I like having my  harness with my pad and shoulder adjustments.  I have recurring back problems so the pad really helps.

I'm quite fond of this GUE page, I practice about 95% of it.

01-31-2007, 04:45 PM,
Makes sense, I wasn't quite sure what you meant.  Yes, I believe GUE/DIR does recommend a one piece harness.  I do not have a problem getting in and out of my one piece harness but some of my dive buddy's have rigged a quick release buckle up to one of the shoulders to make it easier.