Remember me
Lost Password Register

cold water regulators
02-06-2007, 04:17 PM,
cold water regulators
i'm just curious what everyone uses for regulators.  i researched when i was looking for my gear and eventually ended up going with a sherwood blizzard setup.  it should be good enough to dive minnesota lakes including superior diving.  i'm working on getting a setup together for my girlfriend and i'm having difficulty finding other blizzards for sale.  i'm assuming this is a good thing because people don't seem to want to get rid of them.  i'm wondering if she'd be just fine with a sherwood magnum setup though.  anyone have input as to what you really need to be able to dive minnesota lakes?
02-06-2007, 04:42 PM,
Re: cold water regulators
You'll be just fine diving a Blizzard, as will your girlfriend if she gets a Magnum.
-Matt
02-06-2007, 04:58 PM,
I still dive an old brute and have had no problems even at depth in wazee and crosby. Just warn your buddie that your regs are not leaking  Wink
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM,
Air Down There in Little Canada is a rep for Sherwood.  I originally bought mine at Smith Diving, but they don't carry them anymore because it's too similar to AquaLung Titan Glacia.  Check the Dive shops screen at the top of the page for info on stores and gear lines they carry.
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
03-15-2007, 03:17 AM,
When looking for a scuba regulator, look for one that has a functional and reliable pressure gauge. If you want to get more tips, check this guide:
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2007, 09:30 PM by DiverQueen.)
Well, that article was kind of vague....Like saying..."By the way, some regulators do not do well in cold water, and some should not be used for Nitrox.  But be sure to hook them up to your tank!" :Smile

To clarify some of what I just said...There are regulators that are built for cold water, and some that may freeze up and cause a freeflow. 

Sherwood Blizzard and AquaLung Titan Glacia are cold water regs. 

Atomic, Mares, Sherwood, Apeks, Tusa, AquaLung, Poseidon, OMS, Zeagle and ScubaPro also make multipurpose regs that will do well in warm, cold, fresh or salt water.

Scuba Diving Magazine tests and rates new regulators routinely in their ScubaLab reviews.  Go to for the latest reviews of new regs.  You can also look up articles on cold water reg testing!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-26-2007, 01:01 PM,
The old double hose regulators work good in cold water.