Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shore Diving Superior
02-25-2007, 09:38 AM,
Re: Shore Diving Superior
Mrs Arc Flash...

Lava flows...where were you?  I know Brighton Beach, just on the north end of Duluth has some...pretty neat formations.

As far as the Apostles go, I was up there last summer, and we snorkelled Devil's Island...the one with all the sea caves.  Water depth was only 20 feet or so...But with the warm summer, and the right winds, the water temp was around 65 degrees...it was an absolute blast!

I, too, am very curious about doing "dives less bubbled" myself. 

One thing to consider about Lake Superior, is what the conditions are like.  The wind can switch around pretty quick, and make for a miserable exit.  There are also some pretty strong currents at times, which we found out about up by Knife Island, while boat diving.

Regarding Stony point.  It's a good place for training.  It's shallow, and can be fairly good viz.  But it's a shallow dive...hard to get below 45' or so from shore.

The other sites I'm not sure of.  Always willing to explore, though!
02-26-2007, 09:22 AM,
flyboy65:
I think we were in the Silver Bay area. Is that Brighton Beach? [maybe arcFlash knows...] It was a neat swim but a LOT of work for someone not used to currents.  That day the waves were crashing into shore and totally rolling me. With a dry suit and the extra weight on top of being tired from the swim I got to shore and couldn't seem to stand up before I got knocked down again! It was a brutal exit.

arcFlash and I have been sailing on Superior a lot so we're familiar with the quick changes in wind/weather.  We're always very tuned into the NOAA weather radio / forecasts before and during an outing.   

I've seen Devil's Island from a distance but it would be really cool to swim in and around the sea caves!  Isn't it great when the the wind is in the right direction to warm up the water enough to swim in? We've had a few lucky chances to get in (around the Apostles) and just swim w/o getting numb and also dove the Madiera in wetsuits last summer  Smile

02-26-2007, 09:40 AM,
I think Mrs Arc Flash it referring to Silver Bay Beach. It's a small cove with a basalt wall some 20 + feet on the south side. It's all small rocks on the beach so walking in gear is at your own risk but parking is close.

The dive consists of large rocks, very close together, that resemble old lava flows. We didn't get down the shore much as the surge was more then our experience level but our friends describe better formation south of the beach.

You swim though what feels like canyons as some rocks are 20 + feet tall. There is a small rock island off shore that is within reach but you'd need good seas.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-26-2007, 12:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM by john j.)
Does anyone have thoughts on what they consider 'best of' in the Apostles/Bayfield area?
Quote:

In my opinion, the sea caves are better than the wrecks in the Apostle Islands.  Wrecks are broken up and visibility is typically not very good.  I think the best sea caves for diving are on the north tip of Devil's Island, but you need especially calm conditions because that location is way out there and very exposed.  Second best are those on the northeast side of Sand Island and third best are the Sqaw Bay caves.  The Squaw Bay caves are awesome for viewing in the winter when the ice is safe becasue you can walk out to them on the ice and go inside them.  The park service has a toll free number you can call for ice conditions.  If you have not explored them in winter, it is something you should put on your "to do" list.    Snorkeling the sea caves is perhaps better than diving becasue you can fit through smaller openings and climb around in the above water tunnels.  Watch out for boats at the sea caves though, because there are some real yokels around there who have no clue about safety.  Wakes from boats will slam you around real good in the caves.  I once had a wave jam me tightly into a small tunnel just below the surface and I thought I might not make it out.  Fortunately (or unfortunately for those who don't like me) I survived.

I wish there were better wrecks in the Apostles because it is close to home and I really enjoy boating there, but unfortunately the wrecks are not so great in my opinion.  Regarding suggested wrecks, I would say in order of priority: Lucerne, Noquebay, Sevona and Pretoria are worth seeing once or twice.  There is the TH Camp but it's at 180 feet and visibility is pretty bad.  All the other wrecks are well within sport diving limits.

None of the dives I listed are shore access dives.  There is an old model T Ford truck or something like that which is a shore dive from downtown Bayfield.  I have not dived on that one.  There is a wreck called the Fin McCool that is just a broken up barge, but it is fun to see it once or twice.  I have always dived that one from a boat but it may be possible to access it from shore.  Perhaps someone can present infromation on that.

__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
02-26-2007, 02:02 PM,
You can shore dive the Fin McCool from the mainland side pier, south of the boat launch. You swim out past a steel caisson or coffer wall (I'm not an engineer) on your right, 20ft off of shore.  There was construction at the time so things may be a bit different. If you see a B&B ask the owner, It may be in his basement.  ;D

BRING A FLAG, your next to a marina entrance!
The swim out to the wreck maybe 50 yard. I didn't see a marker but it's easy enough to find if the vis is good otherwise snorkel around.  The top in only a few feet below the surface.

This is my memory and I only dove it once so I may have confused some parts but it's divable from shore if you can get out to the end of the mainland pier.

One last thing, Marina folk are friendly but are always watching out to strangers looking around their stuff and it's possibly private (we had clearance) so keep a low profile and respect their space as parking is very limited.
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM,
I agree with John J about the wrecks in the Apostles.
They are pretty shallow and for the most part are pretty broken up.
I am someone that believes that ANY shipwreck is worth at least one dive.
Having said that, the Lucerne is a cool dive if you have dived the Ely in Two Harbors. The Ely midsection is intact but the bow and stern are broken up. The Lucerne midsection is broken up while it's bow and stern are intact. You could make one ship out of the two. Between them you can see an entire 200 ft three masted schooner.
The Pretoria is one of the largest wooden ship ever built. It is 337ft. long at a time that most ship builders believed that you couldn't build any ship over 250ft.
It is one of Davidson's Goliaths.
Sometimes learning the history behind these wrecks can make your dives a lot more fun.
Right now all the known wrecks are pretty shallow, but as the GLSPS gets closer to having the Moonlight and Marquette on the National Register, those numbers will be released.
Those wrecks are Technical level wrecks (210 & 240 ft)
But they will defiantly be worth going to the Apostles to dive.
Bob
Look at that I finally got over 100 posts not too bad for someone that types with two fingers.
02-27-2007, 12:40 PM,
There are Lava flows straight out from shore at Temperance River state Park. In my opinion a very cool divespot. The river and lake shore are separated by a sandbar. The river has spectacular vis and reminds me a little of the Cenotes in mexico. Cool, unusual underwater ravines and structure, and about 30-40 feet deep, bowl shaped, a way cool dive! The lake superior side is sand out to the lava flows, then there is a small canyon that meanders around for quite a ways parallel to the shore. I've gone shore hop diving up and back from two harbors to Hovland and there are places to camp. The Old Hovland pier is a cool place to dive also also but the current and surge can be strong. We've found some nice antique artifacts from coal to old bottles and dishes dumped off of the old ferry boats. Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM,
"Temperance River" When did you dive it? I assume late in the year when the flow is down.

So you can swim upstream and drift back or did I misunderstand?
02-27-2007, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
I sure wouldn't want to be on the last 3 legs of the Temperance River.  She's a big drop.   

I think Lindan's probably talking about where the River meets Superior.  The River,  runs way to fast most of the time, unless of course your a Trout. ;D

BUT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST GEOLOGICALLY DIVERSE PLACES IN THE WORLD>    ALL THAT CUT in the River is through Granite.  Simply amazing.  AND ROMANTIC.  not for you through BonJ.

I haven't ever tried diving at the Flow side, but I think I may try it now.  Thanks Lindan

maxfactor
03-06-2007, 11:58 AM,
What are peoples thoughts on making the north shore a little more diver freiendly, by that I mean marking the dive sites a little more effectively perhaps a small metal square dive flage symbol that would indicate dive sites or include arrows that would lead you to the dive sites. I would think this would make diving the north shore a little more fun or diver friendly and help divers find sites that they might not otherwise know about.

Im also wondering if anyone has dove off the lower parking lot at split rock (wear the little protected bay is and wear 90% of the light house pictures are taken from)  apparently there was an old fishing village there at one point.  I dont think there is much depth to that area but just wondering if anyone has dove and is it worth diving?