Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shipwreck discovery?
03-01-2007, 07:33 AM,
Re: Shipwreck discovery?
Just curious..has anyone done some serious shallow water sidescanning around here in the recent past?...In milwaukee, Jerry Guyer had been doing so, for many years..then he bought a new sonar and a whole new world opened up.  There were wrecks everywhere.  He found several wrecks in less than 100ft of water in places that it almost seems silly that there were not previously found...some in 30 to 40 ft were very similar to this wreck..a tug that had broken up etc..some were 70ft long with a 8ft rise off the bottom....I realize it gets pretty deep around these parts quickly, but Duluth, Superior ports have always been very busy...and frankly i feel that there are a disproportionate amaount of wrecks in the area...I Know that the bay is filled with old tugs etc..long since dredged or built over..and i realize the water is very dirty..but has it been sidescanned?...I would be very interested in speaking with anyone that has any information on this topic............on a diferent strand ....of course Wink
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-01-2007, 08:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM by MAXFACTOR.)
Thank you Kenny, Steve, and the rest of the GLSPS guys that helped map out the wreck. 

Simply fantastic pictures, considering you had ice above you, How man pictures did it take to make the Mosaic.
Just glad I was there to watch you pro's in action.

Maxfactor
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM by LKunze.)
I talked to Ken this morning and he said it was  13 pictures
Bob
03-09-2007, 06:45 PM,
Ken Merryman has been busy updating the GLSPS website. He has added more about Sophie's Wreck.
He has added streaming video. photo mosaic, and a drawing of the possible ship.
Check it out at

03-10-2007, 10:06 PM,
Good Evening, I think that  calling that wreck Sophies wreck would be a great idea.
03-11-2007, 09:59 AM,
Thats a great name!  Sounds Romantic too.

max
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM,
Thanks for your two cents worth