Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bikini Atoll "bashes" cochran computers
03-11-2007, 08:38 PM,
Bikini Atoll "bashes" cochran computers
It appears that Bikini doesn't like their Cochrans....

Now, I don't mind them, but like every piece of gear, it has its disputes.  I just thought this was a little odd....
03-15-2007, 06:55 AM,
Re: Bikini Atoll "bashes" cochran computers
I dove a cochran computer in Bikini last year (EMC-20H) with no problems. Jim, the divemaster there, claimed that the week before he had 6 cochran failures. I really believe that they were programming issues. There are some specific things that have to watch out for when programming it for 2 gasses (as opposed to 3). They use 75% surface supplied 02 for deco, and if you program your computer to activate that gas at 30', and you hang on thier trapeze bar at 10 meters (33') the gas switch will not activate until you are 30' and above.
I've used this computer in many different enviornments and never had a problem.  They (Bikini Atoll) don't understand the computers and have formed an opinion they are not likely to change.
I personally like the computer, but they have thier downside. Once you program it, you don't have to worry about pushing buttons to switch gasses, but you need to carry contingency tables cause you can't re-program on the fly.