Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local Diving 60 min. DVD's for sale soon
03-17-2007, 07:21 AM,
Re: Local Diving 60 min. DVD's for sale soon
added music, did you obtain a copyright release from the artists? Also you should have a release from noticeable people even no matter how good a friend they are. You get picked up by Natioal Geographics or Discovery it can come back to haunt you. It did to Wes Skiles
03-17-2007, 07:35 AM,
I agree with LRRP02.  Once you decide to sell your video, you need to dir.  If you are a hobbiest who wants to make $$$ on something you did for yourself, then I would suggest you give the video to your friends.  Your material cost is only $.50.
03-17-2007, 04:33 PM,
I'm no legal guy but I once heard that if you use less then 8 seconds of a clip it's legal but that may not help you and you'd still need to verify.

I like bubble that way I can wear my gear and get virtual reality from my TV.  If I fill my mouth with cotton I can take up three senses and If I sit in an ice bath....Pow! I'm there.  Wink
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-17-2007, 11:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2007, 12:08 AM by scott1611.)

That reminds me of when I was showing some video to some of my co-workers.  One started holding her breath and only exhaling when she heard the bubbles.  LOL

Quote:Any plans for next week yet?

I shot you a PM
03-18-2007, 05:24 AM,

That reminds me of when I was showing some video to some of my co-workers.  One started holding her breath and only exhaling when she heard the bubbles.  LOL

[/quote]

I've done the same thing watching freedivers on TV!
03-19-2007, 03:04 PM,

Huh?  When I shoot video for the networks, unless it is on private property, your fair game knowingly and willingly around a video camera. 

National Geo asked me if I had releases for all the Katrina footage I shot in New Orleans.  I asked them if they got releases from all the people running on the street during 9/11.

As for music, there are a lot of royality free websites out there were you can get dirt cheap music to use. 

The easy way to get a release when shooting video, just ask on camera, I'm shooting video if you don't want to be in it let me know now otherwise your just getting in my shot. 

The best is when you get some above the law officer trying to be a dick.  You have the right to remain silent, Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of public opinion on CNN, A.P. World Wide, Inside Edition, Youtube and or personal webpages. 

Oh yeah, my crew shot this one this weekend.

But for a small budget production such as this that may not make more then 30 copies I would not worry to much about releases and copyrights if it is not going on the web and your just handing it out to friends.

But its always nice to plan for the future incase the video gets passed around and all the sudden someone who know someone who knows someone wants to use part of it.

As far as anyone big picking it up, unless you shot it in HD or have extreem video, don't hold your breath (bad pun) because almost all the new docu are HD productions.
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
03-19-2007, 07:27 PM,
A friend put together a dvd just like you are speaking of...it was of milwaukee ship wrecks..he put in music..but nothing top 40( so to speak)..it was done quite well..he happens to be quite good with a video camera underwater..it turned out great and we even sold a few at ghost ships festival...we were going to do more of the same..but have not....you wont make a huge profit unless you take it to the next level and then you may have a hard time finding buyers...but if you are like us..you do it because you love to do it..and show others what its like..or to pass on to fellow divers....cudos to you..give it your best......i wouldnt worry too much about the royalties issue......i also had a friend that had a small business selling  his version of ZUBAS...if you recall what they were...sweat pants......he made a quite a bit of money and he was able to sell them at almost half the cost..( local girls sewing them)....he made such  a local impact that ZUBAS caught on...he was issued a pretty nasty and threatening letter from an attorney...he no longer makes them....of course i dont think ZUBAS does either  but...just the same...he doesnt

good luck...
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM,
Oh ya, I love this stuff.  I'm not really trying to make a profit; I'm sure at some time if I get more into it then maybe I would, but as for now I'm just charging enough to split three ways. 

Hopefully they'll keep improving more and more as the diving season progresses, I'll give out more details once I know them. 

For all that are interested, keep in touch, I'll see what I can do.  Hopefully I'll be able to set it up for viewers to see at local diving get togethers and stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM,
I use to do a lot of video, but I have sold everything now. On trips I made and sold videos to the guess I had one version that was pretty much an over all at one cost and a second which would be mostly footage that had the individual in the great majority of the video Got to the point I was eating up most of my vacation giving other what they wanted so I pretty much went to the over all view.
Enjoy I wouldn't worry about copywrite at this point but if you go big then I would look into it. Small scale friends just love to see it and themselves my pricing was 25 & 50.