Remember me
Lost Password Register

What do you look for in an Instructor
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM,
What do you look for in an Instructor
Hello All-
Pretty dead board as of recent..I am sure everyone is prepping for the holiday..I hope you all enjoy your time with family and or whatever it is that you do.  I have three young kids so this time of year is always fun for me....

We have, in the past, talked about the need to find a good instructor....I think we will all agree this is true.....SOOOOO.......Using hindsight, what exactly defines a good instructor and what would you see as being the most practical way of finding that person.....Be descriptive.....It is certainly more than just being nice and getting you through your class..What should an instuctor be willing to do or not do...

Be creative..but be honest....I think its important for some of the newer divers out there to hear this...Feel free to mention names of good instructors..but substantiate it...I do not want to see anyone mention names of people they feel are bad instructors..this is not the place for that...

ok.....GO!!
Oops Did I really say that?????
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2007, 06:19 PM by DiverQueen.)
Re: What do you look for in an Instructor
An instructor should be caring that his or her students do well in the class, that they feel comfortable in the water.  The instructor helps the student through any phobias about diving, mask clearing, etc.

Teach safe dive procedures and reflect them in his or her own dive history.  How much air is in the tank upon return from the dive?  Stay within the limits for the level of certification being earned.

Let the students know about Dive Shop activities, Get-Togethers, Fun Dives....Web sites like this for other divers to network and meet other divers.

Encourage the students to continue their dive education beyond the basic O.W. Class with Advanced, Rescue and Nitrox and other options!

Have repair parts available for whatever may go wrong....B/C malfunctions, torn mouthpieces...whatever!  The "Save-A-Dive" Kit is just the beginning to what may need to be available for class as well as after.

I was lucky enough to be certified through Smith Diving in 2005 with a couple great instructors...Robin was my Pool and Classroom instructor.  For Open Water Checkouts, I had Will Hastings.  Unfortunately he died in a car accident in August of 2006...Almost to the date of my checkout dives :'(  Rest in peace Will!

What I learned from him is to always carry a spare....From a spare B/C in the car for when mine malfunctioned, to spare mouthpieces for when I bit through the flanges or bite tabs on mine.  Now I use a different style and don't have that problem nearly as much!  Miss you Buddy!

My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM,
I'll play, having had a mix of instructors..

First, mnscuba helped me find my Cave instructor, who I consider to be very high quality. So peer referral, first hand on a public forum.

The instructor has to have time on the tools. I know everyone has to start out instructing but I want them well experienced. If they have the minimum dives to meet the grade they have little to offer. Say I have 60 cold water dives to 60 feet and only the OW cert. If I go for AOW and my instructor just moved here from Texas and has 101 dives, what can they really offer me? I want someone with 1000 cold and deep so they can share experience.

Have more then one instructor, even if you have one you like, experience puts perspective on the other instructors and that's worth a lot.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-11-2007, 11:23 AM,
I would look for an Instructor in MN that:

--Only has the minimum # dives required
--has an Instructor Cert. from an online class
--pushing 300# and not carrying it well
--wearing 42# of weight
--Running something like an AA 67 w/ J-Valve technology
--Jacket style vest
--No CPR, AED, EFR, O2 within 100 miles
--Uses only unbalanced, non-environmentally sealed, piston style, regulators with no Octo (i.e. Tusa)
--3mm Wetsuits, no gloves, no hoods, 
--Has the biggest snorkel
--Thinks an ascent rate is overrated. 
--Omits Safety Stops
--Leaves divers unattended in the water
--Drops the anchor with no rope attached
--Confuses DIR with DIY
--Has perfected the silt-out
--Dives only for classes
--Never dives with people at his/her level
--Rambles on about how they are BFF with John Chatterton and Ritchie Kohler
--Ends every sentence with..."and that's what it's all about!"
--Shows up to the dive site with a hangover
--Shouts orders like a drill sgt.
--Bought one of those underwater fishing poles...for everyone!

and oh yeah...

--Pink Fins!

12-11-2007, 12:49 PM,
I look for what I call the "3 P's": passion, patience, and persistence.  You have to have passion for the sport and for teaching.  Your passion needs to be contagious. You have to have patience because your students don't have the same life experiences, fears, or learning abilities.  You need to be persistent in pushing towards the ultimate goal and overcoming obstacles along the way. 

I've had two really notable instructors over the years -- both were from Scuba Center.  One was my OW instructor.  I need to find my OW c-card because I don't remember his name.  I think he went on to work for PADI.  He was so passionate about diving he felt more like a coach than an instructor.  The second was my DM instructor, Rob Leslie (RJ).  RJ took a very positive and enthusiastic approach to teaching.  The guy just loved being in the water and teaching. I think he is a Course Director now.

Both of these instructors taught from life experiences rather than simply reading from an instructor book. 
--Jason
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM,

I fit most of those, can I instruct you? ;D
12-11-2007, 08:19 PM,
Only dropped anchor with no rope attatched one time.  We bought the Father-in-Law a new anchor (wish I had GPS Coord. on where that was....)

Never gone to a dive site with a hangover.  But afterwards may be another story!

Don't own any pink fins, but I do have one extra Pink B/C.

And I just love to go down when ever I can!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-12-2007, 03:00 AM,
Jeez Magelk, do you have to tell all my secrets???
12-12-2007, 04:37 PM,

I was talking with John and Ritchie and they said I should tell.

And that's what it's all about!