Remember me
Lost Password Register

Transitioning from Rent to Own
04-10-2007, 05:26 PM,
Transitioning from Rent to Own
I am a newbie, but interested in doing some cold water diving.  I am relatively short, so off-the-rack wet suits are decidedly long. 

If I want to get to the point where I am not bound to go to a dive shop every time I dive, what would be the best progression of buying equipment?

Also, in terms of expense, which items is it most economical to own vs. economical to rent?

Thanks
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM by LKunze.)
Re: Transitioning from Rent to Own
The big question is how often do you plan to dive?  If you plan on doing a fair amount of local diving it makes sense to own your own equipment as it will be cheaper in the long run.  The first things to purchase in my opinion would be a good fitting mask, fins, wet suit, boots, gloves and hood.  Rent the life support equipment (regulators, BC, computer/bottom timer and tank) from a local shop for awhile to gauge your diving interest.  If you decide you want to dive a good amount then look to buy.  It's best not to skimp and purchase low end gear.  Get good equipment from the start or you'll end up selling it and losing money by upgrading later.  A big mistake new divers make (I did :-[) is going out and buying all new gear without knowing for sure what you want or works best for you.  If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased some of the gear I currently use now to begin with and saved a lot of cash but I didn't try before buying.  Rent before you buy if you can.  If you can't rent certain things try and hook up with some local divers that might be willing to let you try something before you buy.  Our local dive conditions are much different than tropical diving and certain pieces of equipment are better suited than others for these conditions.  Regulators designed for cold water for instance are recommended.  There are three main types of BC's.  A jacket style, back inflation style, and backplate/harness wing (BP/Wing).  I think most all shops use jacket BC's for open water training.  More and more local divers have turned to the BP/Wing.  They are more streamlined, hold the tank rock solid (no wobble or sag) in and out of the water, are more versatile and trim you out better in the water when properly set up.  Once adjusted correctly you do not have to adjust it again unless switching between a drysuit to a wetsuit or vice versa.  Most local divers that dive a lot locally later upgrade to a drysuit but it's not necessary to start out.  I dived for a year in a wetsuit before I decided I wanted to dive a lot.  Then I upgraded to a drysuit.  Hope this is helpful.  I'm sure others will chime in with some tips as well.  Welcome to MNSCUBA! Wink
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM,
all of Lonnie addvice is very good and well though out. some dive shops have a summer rental program thats reasonable and a free air card.
grumpie......
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM,
I agree with Lonnie,

I spent most of my first dive season renting different equipment from different shops. Often they run a half price rental special when they are hosting fun dives or special events. I puchased the "size specific" items like mask,fins, exposure suit and rented the rest. Many of the other items came from closeouts on rental gear or spring / fall sales. I purchased items slowly after actually trying them out. Luckily I have never had to "upgrade" on any big ticket items by spending a little on rental fees. As Lonnie said, many of us are willing to let you try some stuff out as we have ALL been in your position and few of us have a cash tree in the backyard.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
04-10-2007, 09:53 PM,
I imagine you probably have your mask, fins and snorkel from your open water class.  The first item I would focus on is the wet suit.  It takes the most time to find the right fit when renting.  Also, you never know what the previous renter may have done to it.(I.E.- the folklore about the 2 different types of divers pertaining to wet suits)  I mean, I'm just sayin.........
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-10-2007, 10:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2007, 04:17 AM by LKunze.)
This should help get you started...

Personal gear:  Masks, fins, boots  Fit and comfort are most important

Exposure Protection:  Wetsuits are where most people start and there is a wide range of prices and features but you get what you pay for. Top end: consider Pinnacle or Henderson.  Everything else will just do.  In MN 7mm is most popular.  For even more protection consider a 7mm farmer john style, which would be 14mm (or over a 1/2") over your trunk.

Regulators:  You want an environmentally sealed (water doesn't enter 1st stage), balanced, cold water ready regulator (with a heath sink).  Make sure you buy this from an authorized dealer, not the internet, you will be glad you did.  Top end consider:  Aqualung, Apeks, Dive Rite, OMS, Zeagle, or even Scubapro.  Low End/Avoid: Tusa, Aeris, other non-name brands.

BC Types:  Blackplate and Wing (halycon, dive rite, oms), Back Inflated (Zeagle style), Hybrids (every brand has one now, includes integrated weights), jacket/vest style (great for warm water charters, not great for mn).

Computers:  Start with a simple air computer to save money or spend a little more and get one that can handle nitrox.  Two types are console types or wrist mount, for most new divers this is really personal choice.  Honestly, you will probably upgrade this piece of equipment no matter what throughout your dive career.

Tanks:  Steel (AA) or Aluminum (AL), 80's or larger. Steel lets you take weight off your belt which with that new wetsuit starts looking good right about now. Aluminums are an industry standard, don't ask me why!  Here, especially for heavy breathers, bigger is better.

Other things to consider: 

Some people in MN ascribe to the idea that you should never dive without a knife or other cutting tool.  Although, I have never needed it to save my life, I just feel better when I dive with my knife.  Monofilament and other hazards are everywhere.

Attach a whistle to your bc.

Carry a signaling device.

Welcome and happy diving!

04-11-2007, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2007, 10:57 AM by arcFlash.)
I spent too much on my first 'good' computer. What a waste.

I 'upgraded' and got a NiTek Duo for a 3rd of the price I paid for the "good" one and I love it.

Take the computer money and spend it on Regs' or a dive trip.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-11-2007, 11:42 AM,
the first computer you should invest in is your brain. be sure you can understand tables and the math behind the computer befor you trust it.
as for the other gear good thermal protection will make a world of diferance I still use my farmerjohn and it is good for most dives but I do use a dry suit for weekends that I will dive alot.
Talk to dive shops about your diving and get equipment that fits your style and size (rember to consider how you want to dive not just how you do dive)
come to diving get togethers and some of us will let you testdive our gear if it will fit you also.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM,
Here is my two cents:

I would start by re-reading Lonnie's post. 

Just like any other activity you get into, you really don't know what you do or don't like until you have tried a few things.  This applies to all sorts of stuff...I am on my third set of camera gear and stopped counting with dive gear.

Three points to ponder....

First: The really short answer to your question is to try it before you buy it, no matter what any other diver/instructor/shop says.  It has to be right for YOU and the kind of diving you are doing/plan to do.  I have talked to lots of people that get the "package" at a shop then after diving awhile realize "I would have really liked the BCD/Fins/Reg with the (fill in the blank) feature, unfortunately unless you dove bunch, you would not have realzed you cared about any particular feature.   At that point you have to come to grips with the concept of "SCUBA Bucks" and just suck up owning three of everything.....

Second: You will find no shortage of people that are VERY VERY shop loyal, brand loyal or "style" loyal.  Try whatever shop, brand, or style you are comfortable with... but stay with what works for you.  Who cares if someone else thinks some gear is really really cool.. does it work for you?  When you hear something like "the only brand to dive is X, just stop listening.  Really, would all the dive shops that don't sell brand X be in business in the area if the stuff they sold didn't work? 

Three: Embrace Renting....  I know it is hard to pay out a rental fee when that money could go to owned gear.  In the end, the "package deal" is only a deal if you don't have to buy twice.  It is also no deal at all if you sell it all off and give up diving in one year because you were never really comfortable underwater due gear fit, features, or function.  Don't underestimate how poor fiting or underfeatured products will slow the learning curve and make you feel like you have a problem, when it is really the gear.    Some shops rent entire packages for the summer.  If you like the stuff, you can buy it at a pretty reduced price at the end of the rental time.  If they throw in free air with the rental tank, you can't go wrong.  At any time you don't like the stuff.  Don't rent it anymore or exchange a piece for one that works for you. 

Specific Equipment: Tanks. If you plan to dive a lot, get a tank.  If you are not sure, rent.  The only problem is that on some weekends, it may be pretty hard to find a rental tank unless you call ahead and reserve it.   BCD's: Get an adjustable one. In the frozen north, you may wear +5mm thermal protection sometimes and in a year or so thicker layers or a dry suit with thick thermals.  Then when you get down south, you realize your BCD is too big for your 2 or 3mm shorty.  Adjustable is the way to go.   The personal stuff like wetsuit, mask, gloves.... get those soon so you are comfortable with them.  You know.... did the dive before you deploy self contained warm water heating in the suit before you?

OK, there are my two cents....
04-11-2007, 08:18 PM,
Thanks everyone, we seem to have a concensus.