Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local dive sites
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM,
Local dive sites
Haven't heard much about the project (dive map locations) for the site, and I know there were some other threads around talking about a place to post maps for local diving.

I was adding stuff to Google Earth on my computer, but after hearing that Google opened up their maps to allow people to create their own assortment of place markers "My Maps"...I thought I'd start putting them there.

So I created a map with places I've dove and some dive shop locations, made the map public so others could view it.

Thought I'd share my MN Dive Location map over at Google...(ran over to tinyurl to get a shorter url)

I'll be adding other locations to my map as I dive this year.  I'll probably get a little better with my descriptions, too.  :-)

I'm sure the regular divers know how to get to the different lakes and sites.  But for anyone new, if your LDS didn't provide directions something like this might come in handy.  Obviously I don't have a ton of sites in my list...just the ones I was able to get to (minus Isle Royale) since starting to dive last year.

Scott
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM,
Re: Local dive sites
Very nice.

Are you collecting other info? I can send you some Lat/log or is this your personal (public) file?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-13-2007, 04:34 PM,
Started out with what I've dove, but I'm fine with putting other locations on the map....at least I'd have other places to check out at some point.  :-)
04-20-2007, 07:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2007, 07:30 PM by cold_H2O_diver.)
I've been putting this together recently:

Eventually, I would like to expand from Lake Superior to inland MN lakes and those in surrounding states - continuing outward in a larger and larger radius. Concentrating on western Lake Superior and Keewenaw first. The Madiera (Split Rock) and Thomas Wilson (near Duluth) wreck pages have images, and the level of detail I am hoping to achieve with all sites.

Basically, I am going to keep adding new dive sites as long as I can keep finding / receiving information.  I haven't done much to promote it yet, as I am still in the stages of adding a reasonable level of initial dive site information - but it is live as you can see. Feel free to browse what's there.

Just a programmer / diver trying to combine his vocation with his avocation... 

What do you think?
04-20-2007, 09:04 PM,

Wow...I like that.  I now know a few more locations for possible dives this summer on Superior.

Thanks for sharing!