Remember me
Lost Password Register

ANy local diving soon?
04-22-2007, 05:08 PM,
ANy local diving soon?
My buddy and I are interested in doing a local dive before our May trip to Catalina - this is my first "full" summer here - so don't know when the lakes will be hospitable enought to dive - I have dry suit certification but want to dive wetsuit -

Anybody have any reco on where to dive next Saturday or Sunday or in May? I can drive to Wisconsin/Iowa Friday night - and dive Sat.

Also, is anybody interested to jon too?

Rupa
04-22-2007, 05:23 PM,
Re: ANy local diving soon?

Unfortunately local diving is going to be on the chilly side for wet suit diving for at least a month or so.  I dove Square Lake yesterday, and it was 41 degrees.  If I remember wet suit diving right (it's been a while) it really needs to be in the 50's to be comfortable.  I know there are people who wet suit dive when the water is in the upper 30's, but they can't convince me they are comfortable.

There really isn't a thermocline yet, but if the temperatures at night start staying above 60, we'll start seeing the tops of the lakes warm up.

Jeff
Jeff
04-22-2007, 05:41 PM,
Ok, might have to dive the aquariam then  ;D

Are you diving Square Lake again? I have dry suit certification - though last Sep.  I didn't have too much trouble with buoyancy control, though it took me few minutes to get it right inthe space suit ....

Rupa
04-22-2007, 06:36 PM,
I'm tied up next Sat in the pool, but if the weather is decent, I could be convinced to check out one of the local lakes.  I'd love to drop into Phalan since I live a mile away, especially with the good report I saw today.

Jeff
Jeff
04-22-2007, 06:52 PM,
Teaching this weekend Jeff ?

What class?
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
04-22-2007, 07:12 PM,
Ok then, I'll try and convince you -

....what will it take to convince you? 

A good day/time? More divers? ..I will pool practice and come....

Rupa
04-22-2007, 07:29 PM,

I may be running a scuba refresher session.  Won't know for sure until Wed or so.

Rupa, you'll find that there are a lot of crazy people around here, who all you need to do is suggest diving somewhere, and they'll join you!

I happen to be one of those crazies...  As long as it's not raining, I'd be up for a local dive next Sunday.  I say local, just because I'll be headed to Wazee the following weekend.  I'll keep tabs on Phalan, and if it doesn't look too murky during the week, I'D be up for checking out the beach area (probably the best entrance point).

Jeff
Jeff
04-22-2007, 07:47 PM,
Ok, thats a good idea - I won't need much to become one of the crazies :-)

So, you're going to divers weekend - r you going Friday night or Sat morning? I saw that but have volunteered (cornered) for a friend for Festival of Nations - and chose Sunday morning, 9:30 am.

When are you heading back?

Rupa
04-22-2007, 08:55 PM,

I'll be heading up Fri night after work.  I'll probably be there both Fri and Sat night, and return Sunday afternoon.

Jeff
Jeff