Remember me
Lost Password Register

Christmas Lake
06-20-2007, 10:04 AM,
Christmas Lake
Hi,

I'm thinking of going out to Christmas lake after work tonight, has anyone been there yet this year?  I haven't been there in a few years, I know the last time I was there it had good vis.

(I know they limited the parking to about a trailer and a half Tongue)

Thanks
06-20-2007, 06:20 PM,
Re: Christmas Lake
we were just out there a couple of weeks ago.  visibility is still pretty good for minnesota lakes.  probably ~10 feet.
06-21-2007, 06:53 AM,
As far as as parking goes, you may still be able to park in front of those "houses" a 1/2 block south of the landing.  Being W/O a trailer, we were able to park in front of the castles and had no probs.  If I remember correctly, the signs just said no trailer parking there.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM,
Went out last night after storm passed, vis was about 10', not bad for a lake... had a good dive not many boats on the lake (wonder why ???).  We kept it short didn't want another storm to start while we were down.

The parking is limited to 6 spots, one was taken up by someone who took off to go jogging!  Not sure why with only 6 spots it's not labled for trailer parking only.  You can park on the street without a trailer.
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM,
As far as the 6 spots go, I have heard that the residents on the lake wanted to get the lake stocked with trout.  In order to accomplish that, they had to agree to a public landing so they were not stocking a private lake with taxpayer dough.  6 spots don't seem like a fair concession if there is any truth to that deal.  By the way, we found a double oven in the middle, south of the launch.  I have heard of others finding different large appliances as well.  Might be a good lake to dive if you are building a new home :-\
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-06-2007, 09:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2007, 09:43 PM by DiverQueen.)
Went out on Christmas Lake tonight for a bit of fishing and freediving...Saw a new boat owner make the same mistake many do!  They unhitched the chain from the trailer and backed the boat toward the launch area.  The winch rope broke and the fiberglass jetboat with a little outboard on back rolled off the trailer and dropped onto the concrete...Ouch....

We sacrificed our tow strap to use as a winch strap and pushed and heaved and got that heavy boat back onto it's trailer.  Whew!

Once we finally got out on the lake we saw something rare...A diver flag and two people in the water.  Hope you folks had fun.  We steered clear of you!

Water was fairly clear with about 12ft vis.  78 degree surface temp with a thermo at about 16 ft.  Freedived down to 18 ft for about a minute.  Held the anchor rope and just watched the fish...Cool!  Look, no bubbles!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM,
That nearly happened to me when my tow strap failed at the pits, but the safety chain saved the day :o 

We might be heading to Christmas Lake again Wednesday, hope the weather is nice!

07-08-2007, 08:28 PM,
We headed back to Christmas Lake Sunday 7-8-07 for a quick boat dive to recover the dive fin I lost.  Saw several people with two dive kayaks at the end of the point just out across from the launch area.  Went back to where we had been on Friday and I recovered my lost fin!  Vis is fair at 7-10 feet, water temp at 22 feet was 77 degrees!  I really noticed the thermocline without my hood or gloves.
07-12-2007, 11:57 AM,
Good job recovering fin!  It's good you lost it in a lake with some Vis! 

Went there last night for another night dive... just missed a couple other divers doing a shore dive, how is the swim out?  DNR told us they left just a few minutes before we got there.

I really have to get a earlier start, we keep getting there late with boat and doing night dives. 

If you were there and lost a mask let me know, some kids found it and gave it to us to return.
07-12-2007, 03:39 PM,
With that launch area, early start or Late start are good.  I didn't swim it, I boat it!  My 16ft Alumacraft works well!  I did see some Dive Kayaks out there on Sunday.