Remember me
Lost Password Register

Green Lake o.w.
05-07-2007, 07:07 AM,
Green Lake o.w.
When I saw white caps on the duck pond on my way to dive Green, I somewhat anticipated a difficult dive. I had my 1448 jon boat in tow. I was going to try out my new underwater metal detector. It was very windy and rough at the landing. I debated swimming out from shore but did not have floating flag. I assembled my gear and suited up. Decided to take the boat with my trusty dive buddy NEO. I headed to the approx location (3rd party vauge description) and anchored up. I have dove out of my larger boat before so I figured this one wouldld be easier. I leave a rope with a snap on it for my gear and then climb in. No problem, right?

visibility at the surface was 1-2' and pitch black at 20'. After turning on my h.i.d. light i had the 1-2' vis back again Wink ithought I scored an anchor right away but then realized it was dragging past me :o I secured the anchor and started meandering aimlessly hoping that today would be the day. Only thing found was a 6pack of unopened pepsi.  ???

Now back to the task of getting back to the boat. I srfaced only about 40-60 yds away and swam back. I have done this before but only in a wetsuit. my rig now is negative because of the extra 16 pounds of weight. The main problem was that it fits alot tighter that the wetsuit. I also spent 6 hrs on sat chasing my teenage boy and his buddies in combat stressed situations(paintball) through the woods. I am not as flexible today :'( I must be getting old!I start to remove all vital gear that could be lost and try to squirm my way out. Plan b was to swim to shore 150-200yds remove gear swim back to boat. first plan a. I managed to squirm my way out with my left arm. but kept my secondary reg in my mouth. Note to self Disconnect drysuit inflater hose prior to attempting this manuver. I now had my left arm pinned behind myself! :o Did I forget to mention the 3-5' whitecapps? Fortunately my trainning kicked in and I didn't panic. After a minute or 2 I was able to free myself and salvage my gear. I did not get to try out my metal detector. With the extreme conditions I decided not to implement any thing new to my gear configuration.

:-[ :-[
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM,
Re: Green Lake o.w.
Sounded like alot of fun, I hope you had a dive flag on your boat.
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM,
Shooter,

As I read this I was laughing (with you) pretty hard.  I have had the same kind of day trying to get back into a boat.  My buddy and I tried out his dads small aluminum fishing boat one day in Sturgeon lake.   I had not been diving a drysuit long and did the same thing with the drysuit hose.  After my buddy stopped laughing at me, he helped me out of my confinement.  It was the dive that pushed me to get a back inflate BCD with quick release buckles. 

It is small things that end up biting you in the butt. I give you a lot of credit for making it out of your BCD and even more for posting your story.

Later,   Chris
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM,
OH MY GAWD :o :o

What was Neo thinking ??? ???

05-08-2007, 02:55 PM,
[quote='AandA link' pid='3890' dateline='1178577162']
OH MY GAWD :o :o

What was Neo thinking ??? ???

[/quote]

Attached Files
.jpg   Buddy Neo(I am the one).jpg (Size: 42.22 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg_thumb   Buddy Neo(I am the one).jpg_thumb (Size: 31.21 KB / Downloads: 0)