Remember me
Lost Password Register

Your thoughts on snorkeling and spearfishing?
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM by coinshooter.)
Re: Your thoughts on snorkeling and spearfishing?
I see that spearfishing in ND is quite limited. In my years of being on and around the northern lakes of Minnesota I have never seen other divers having or using some type of spearing device. They must be stealth mode.

The old speargun is in the basement with the rubbers rotting away. Besides, I haven't come up with a way to drink the beer at 30+ feet.

Minnesota regulations on Spearfishing: May1, 2007 to February

This regulation is for rough fish only

Bullhead      Limit  100
Sucker         Limit   50
Redhorse    Limit   50
Other rough fish species   No limit

Harpoons (spears) must have a tethered line not more than 20 feet long, may be discharged only when the equipment and the operator are entirely under the surface of the water, and may not be used withing 1000 feet of a swimming beach.

It is illegal to take game fish with speargun or harpoons.

Rough fish may not be taken by spear, harpoon, archery, or dip net in designated trout lakes or streams.  (So check the quarrys and the mine pits to see if it is marked as a trout lake such as Ore-be-gone, Lake Mine, and St. James pits.)

There is nothing said about being SCUBA certified in Minnesota. In ND thats a different story. Sounds like political b.s. from the DNR to me.

By the way, the taking of fish requires a fishing license and I usually don't carry my license when diving.

Note on the great story, it was probably true, once being a NoDak myself.

This post may or may not be useful other than entertaining for the viewers and fellow divers waiting for the weekend dive.
05-16-2007, 07:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2007, 07:21 AM by freedivernd.)
Re: Your thoughts on snorkeling and spearfishing?
Under the water, only the bass seem stupid when you're carrying a speargun.
Quote:Enlightening in that some among the free diving crowd have traded in the encumbrance of scuba equipment for the encumbrance of inflated egos.  How does one go so deep with such a large head?
In the future, you should wait until you have a few freedives beyond a 100 feet before you venture that opinion. Wink
Quote:I'll know in the future not to make any contributions that might expose my ignorance.  I'll wait until I have a couple hundred dives to a couple hundred feet before I venture an opinion.
Smile Smile Smile  Thought I'd better add a few smilies, 'cause if you knew me in person, you'd know I'm only pickin on ya for fun..
Cold and dark down there huh?