Remember me
Lost Password Register

lakes near cities
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM,
lakes near cities
Hey All !!

Were looking for lakes to dive.
Looking for some feedback on local lakes.
???  Which are best - which are worst ?  ???

Thanks,
Tommy J.  :-)

05-23-2007, 06:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM by DiverQueen.)
Re: lakes near cities
A part of this depends on where in the metro area you are...And what time of year? 

Downtown Minneapolis:  Calhoun, multiple access areas, "Smith Diving Fun Dive" location, Parking cost $ (City Permit or Bring change for meters, Pay lot accepts bills at North Beach).  Visability....6-9ft on a good day.  Bring your dive flag, most boats are Sailboats, but some may be electric motor, no gas-powered boats allowed.

Wirth Lake (Golden Valley) Boat access (non-motorized) lot of milfoil, water cleaner than you would expect for this close to the city.  Free parking in the boat launch area, shade trees and water available. 

St. Paul:  Phalen, city park-free parking, vis 3-7ft, 80 ft deep pit, occasional abandoned cars near boat ramp (under water)

South Metro area: Lac Lavon in Apple Valley,  7-10 ft vis.  Huge snails and lots of panfish.  Paved walk from parking area to lake access, Portable restroom facility in season, picnic tables.  Dive Flag required per city ordinance.  Occasional nice fishing lures under water (and my dive shears)

West Metro:  Christmas Lake, Clear, spring fed, 80 ft deep and tons of panfish and bass.  Also tons of milfoil.  Best accessed by boat off Highway 7.  Being deep and spring fed, this lake is slower to warm up in the spring and cools off slower in the fall.  Caution...Other boaters may not be aware of you in the water...Last summer a 14 year old boater hit a swimmer and caused severe injuries!

East Metro:  Square Lake, our old favorite training lake...decreasing visability due to diver use (stirring up the silt) and overuse of fertilizer in past years.  Now algae bloom makes it dark and foul smelling from time to time!  Access by Washington County Park $5,  Golden Acres Campground $5.

East Metro:  Lake Elmo, Like Christmas, this lake is best accessed by boat, some drop offs near swimming beach.

Cross the border into Wisconsin....Perch lake near Houlton, access from park side $, access from road (boat launch) free.  Too bad they took out the steps from the parking lot!  No restroom facilities at parking lot.

Other options for info.  Metro Area Fishing Guide books, available at Gander Mtn and other Bait and Tackle shops.  Lakemaps and other TOPO maps from MN DNR. 

Ask your Dive Shop about good locations!  They probably use some of them for "Fun Dives" and other outings!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!