Remember me
Lost Password Register

FIVE TON BLUE WHALE CAPTURED /SOLD
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM,
FIVE TON BLUE WHALE CAPTURED /SOLD
Yes.,  in just another one of CHINA's lack of ecological care of life and existence, herein below is a very sad story about a 5 ton GIANT BLUE WHALE caught in fishing line.  By some accounts alive, and then dragged into port and hung by a crane.  Then sold for very little to a Chinese businessman. 
SO  FOR ALL OF US,  WHO CONTINUE TO BUY THOSE CHINESE MADE SCUBA PRODUCTS... which I think is / are just about everything we dive with.....THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT SAYS ABOUT US as DIVERS.
At least Taiwan is  banning the killing, catching of whales in Jan. 08. 

here is the article
Five-ton blue shark captured in east China

Fishers use a crane to load the giant blue shark on May 23, 2007.A giant blue shark was captured by a fisher in east China's Jiangsu Province on the afternoon of May 23. The shark is 10 meters long and 1.5 meters wide with a total weight of five tons or so. A businessman passing by purchased it at the price of over 100,000 yuan right after the capture. A giant blue shark was captured by a fisher in east China's Jiangsu Province on the afternoon of May 23. The shark is 10 meters long and 1.5 meters wide with a total weight of five tons or so. A businessman passing by purchased it at the price of over 100,000 yuan right after the capture.

05-31-2007, 12:20 PM,
Re: FIVE TON BLUE WHALE CAPTURED /SOLD
What does this have to do with diving in Minnesota?
05-31-2007, 12:36 PM,
It IS posted in the 'Non-Scuba Related posts' and 'Off Topic Discussions' so I don't understand your question VintageDiverMN   :Smile

I searched 'captured blue shark' on google and under the news link there are pictures from what appears to be a Chinese newspaper.  Sad.
05-31-2007, 01:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2007, 01:14 PM by arcFlash.)
This is the Norkeling and Cuba diving section.

Now, who's validating parking?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
05-31-2007, 03:20 PM,
Japan stills kills whales, and we still buy their cars.
05-31-2007, 03:33 PM,
Nope, fine here, I checked and my double hose regulator was made in good ol' California. 
Got proof, it says "Made in USA" 

phew, close call!!

Saved a few whales with that one  Wink

05-31-2007, 03:39 PM,

Fran.
This board,
the education, technology
and international informational sharing
has
EVERYTHING
to do with Diving.

(and yes Lonnie just scrubbed the rest of this post
as to how I really feel)   >Big Grin

had your bath yet today , Pal?

05-31-2007, 03:45 PM,
Correct, no problem with the forum this topic was posted in.
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM,
Hmmm.
I think we're throwing stones while we live in a glass house....Although I very much abhor the thought of needless destruction of endangerered creatures...I have to think about the issues of water/conservation and green concepts right here at home....  Am I doing all I can do right here...  Ya hafta remember that while this guy in China may have killed one (probably to amke a priofit and sell as food), how many have we killed through pollution and global warming...........  The loss of one is SO VERY SAD.  The loss of many........Just viewwed as too bad. :'( :'( :'( :'( 
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM,
I just checked my double hose regulators, and they are all made in the USA except for one, and it's made in the country that started it all, France.