Remember me
Lost Password Register

ICE Freediving..
12-05-2002, 09:30 PM,
ICE Freediving..
I'm thinking about cutting a piece of the ice out of the way and going for a dip. Since I'm not going to be using a reg and am fairly used to out of air experiences, I don't forsee it being too big of a deal. In fact, I can picture myself doing a rapid ascent and clearing the ice by several feet, landing about 3 feet from the hole, wetsuit freezing in place, begging my buddy to pour the hot water on so I can get un-stuck.

A well anchored rope, both ends (at least a good knot tied off on a car or truck on one end, preferably the surface end), a pie shaped cutout, a buddy or two standing on the water. Am I nuts? :Smile Wait, don't answer that. Either way, I'm afraid it's going to happen.

Not the best time to learn about freediving but you'd all be welcome to come and join me.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-06-2002, 08:43 AM,
Re:ICE Freediving..
Yes... you ARE nuts! Might want to have a buddy ice certified in scuba, with gear on just in case.
12-06-2002, 09:11 AM,
doesnt sound like a great idea...
but if you do are you gonna have a tender?
safety diver? emergency hole?
scrape off snow to have radial and concentric lines?
shamu the rescue whale?
12-06-2002, 10:10 AM,
Shoot - my main concern was having a warming tent... and getting the block of ice out of, and back into the cutout hole.

I'll be servicing up the chain saw soon.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-06-2002, 01:38 PM,
Hmm...doesn't sound safe to me Fred.
12-07-2002, 12:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2002, 12:24 AM by tbrown.)
2 words Fred; Grande Cajones ;D I'd volunteer to help as a saftey diver, but I'm afraid mine would freeze off.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom