Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mall of America Dive, Let's Do It!
12-13-2002, 12:32 PM,
Re:Mall of America Dive, Let's Do It!
I am scheduled for an Ice Diving class Feb 5th (Sun),
but that can be changed, if need be!!!!

The only hard-iron (set in stone etc) date for me is Jan 12...Out of town on a disaster recovery test...(What fun)
Any other weekend is good for me!!!!

Thanks...Jean ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
12-15-2002, 08:46 AM,
mid january and on will work great for me
tony
12-15-2002, 03:53 PM,
Jean,
Ice diving class? Now that you wear a hood, you can even go ice diving!
Where are you taking the class? PADI, TDI etc??? How much? Special prep/equipment needed? I might give it a try - otherwise it's going to be a long winter being a land-dweller.
See ya,
Dan
Dan L
12-15-2002, 06:31 PM,
Its thru Scuba Center in Eagan (PADI). I could not make the Smith Diving ice diving class (NAUI).
However, since all my cert(s) are PADI, thats a good fit.
Cost is $200. In the pool session, you get to train with the harnesses and lines.
You get practice being on the water side and being a line tender on the dry side.
I have heard that some uses coolers full of ice water and make you stick your head in them with your regulator but no mask for about a minute to experience the cold water shock!!!!

I am going to try it in a wet suit, since I do *NOT* have a dry suit, and if I rented one, I wouldn't know
how to use it I.E. Too many new variables etc...
But I was able to survive Smith's turkey dive with my 7MM. 38 degree water. Bottom time 40 Minutes.
Everything was OK except my feet felt like two icicles afterwards.
Maybe we should open a separate thread on Ice Diving training etc...
Sound good???

Thanks...Jean ;D

P.S. Yes, I have learned to wear my hood. Kinda gotten used to it actually. (Thats scarry!!!)
And since the MOA requires hoods, it was a good thing!!!
12-15-2002, 07:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2002, 07:06 PM by freedivernd.)

Sounds good.
Jean,
Maybe full foot fins would help the feet. And I could borrow you my socks. They are a set of Sporasubs (I forget the model) with a smooth neoprene inside except for a lining on the sole. I was surprised, as I expected my feet to freeze too. When I was in the icewater even at the surface I sat with my legs in the water.

I see that tri-state is doing an ice dive soon, here's an excerpt from their newsletter -

Fred

We are planning an ice dive for the weekend of Jan 11,2003. If interested let me know so we know how to plan for the weekend. Fee if you are taking the class is 150.00 dollars which includes classroom, and three dives. Classroom will be on Friday evening. Dives on Sat. and maybe Sunday. If all ready ice dive certified the fee for the day will be 20 dollars to help cover expenses. We will have the scuba shack on site so everyone can dive in a warm place. If you don't want to take the class but would like to try it fee is 80.00 dollars for the day. You must be at least advanced diver certified or have made at least 50 logged dives.
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-16-2002, 12:01 PM,
Those socks sound great...I wear a size 9 (women's) bootie. And I used full-foot fins in Florida one day when
I *FORGOT* my boots at another dive shop. I just wore white socks with those.

Thanks...Jean ;D
01-08-2003, 07:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2003, 07:28 PM by tbrown.)
Had my hands full the last couple of days, and was wondering how we are coming on doing this dive. My garage burned almost to the ground this last weekend, no injuries but everything got toasted. Forunatley the only dive gear that suffered where 2 cave reels, but the car is a husk. Anyway, as soon as those rotten ba@#$@ds at the insurance company get it together, and I get a DTV on the road, I NEED to get some wet time in. How bout early Feb?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-08-2003, 07:32 PM,
Tom,
Sorry about your garage. All the best with the ins company and getting back to normal.
Dan
Dan L
01-09-2003, 03:39 AM,
Thanks Dan. I'm sure it will work out in the end, it's just getting there that is the problem.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-09-2003, 01:53 PM,
MOA Update:
I'm checking on available dates in February, Michelle is going to get back to me and I'll post what I find.