Remember me
Lost Password Register

I got Published!!!!!
06-23-2007, 09:19 AM,
I got Published!!!!!
OH MY GAWD!!!!

I'm a published underwater photographer now!!

Alyson was hounding me to send in the photo of the loon that I took last year (the same one that is in the Gallery).  Well I finally sent it in to the magazine Birder's World for their photo of the week contest.  I got a letter back saying that they did not want it for their photo contest  :'( , but that they wanted to buy the rights to it, for one time publication, and place it on the inside of their back page  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D   ;D  ;D  .

Well the check and the complimentary advance copies came in the mail this week.  I scanned the page from the magazine and HOPE it will turn out when I attach a copy of it.

The big problem that I have run into now is that my wetsuit hood no longer fits.....I think I now need a 10x hood (my head has gotten a bit bigger)  :Smile. 

Attached Files
.jpg   scan of magazine photo.jpg (Size: 18.88 KB / Downloads: 261)
.jpg_thumb   scan of magazine photo.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.19 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-23-2007, 09:23 AM,
Re: I got Published!!!!!
The text came out rather small in the scan. Here it what it says:

Photo by Art Gullette

Readers Art and Alyson Gullette recently had a close encounter of the loony kind while scuba diving in Minnesota.  Several feet below the surface of a clear lake near Brainerd, they were surprised by a submerged Common Loon. "It circled twice and then went off," writes Art, but not before he was able to snap the remarkable picture above. (He used an Olylmpus SP350 camera in a PT-030 underwater housing.) To read about a drier place to find birds in Minnesota, see page 52.

from Birder's World, August 2007.
06-23-2007, 09:32 AM,
Congrats !!
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM,
congratulations on the great recognition!  I don't click on too many pictures that show up in the banner at the top of the main page..and I don't spend a lot of time looking through the gallery. (by the way,,, I love the banner of random pictures on the main page.. it's great!) but I remember when I first saw this one of the loon..  I had to click on it for a bit closer look.  Great pic.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-23-2007, 06:47 PM,
Nice going, how does it feel to be famous?
06-24-2007, 06:58 PM,
Big Grin

That's awesome!  I remember the first time I saw your photo thinking that it would be so cool to actually see that in real life! 

Congrats!
06-27-2007, 06:53 PM,

Yeah yeah yeah... Google my name... LMAO  Congrats, it's always cool to see your work first published.  Running my production company I get to see that a lot with new storm videographers and it's just as fun as getting my own stuff published.  The hard part is getting paid but looks like they made it easy for you. 

Again, Congrats

Doug
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
07-14-2007, 02:36 PM,
The July-August issue of Minnesota Conservation Volunteer has an artical on Loons. It claims that Loons can dive to 240 feet and stay underwater for up to 5 minutes. Did a scuba diver follow the Loon down to get this bit of information?
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM,
It wasn't me....  :o8)
07-15-2007, 08:49 AM,
WAY TO GO ART.    Congratulations.    Yee haaa....  your eagle pictures are pretty awesome too.

Maxfactor