Remember me
Lost Password Register

Belize advice
06-27-2007, 05:53 PM,
Belize advice
I've conned my family into going to Belize in December, but the constituents demand more than diving.  They can be sated with beaches and birds, so we've decided to go to the Placencia (south) end of the country.  Does anyone have experience with the dive sites or dive operators in this area.  We are all newbies and easily impressed.

What about low-key accommodations?  Six that look good in the guidebooks are:

Lydia's Guesthouse
Sea Spray Hotel
Tradewinds
Blue Crab
Ranguana Lodge
Singing Sands

Tanks everyone ;D

06-27-2007, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2007, 10:10 PM by freedivernd.)
Re: Belize advice
it's been years since I've been to belize but as I remember all the diving around Placencia was way way way off shore.. and the sand there was very coarse crushed shells, very sharp.. not really sand.  We stayed out on an island.. Ranguana Reef Resort.. very primitive.. but loved it.  Had to pack our own provisions but were treated to a few great meals by the locals of the little island which was about the size of a football field if even.  Here's a pic of our accomodations
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-19-2007, 10:50 AM,
I have sent a private message, but the best spot for a combination land/ocean vacation is Hopkins, Belize.  It is closer to the reef than Placencia (though not as close as Ambergis), has just as nice of beaches and is closer to the land sites such as ruins, jungle, rivers, cave tubing etc.  A week's vacation isn't enough for all the wonders of Belize, but if that's all you have, then go to Hopkins!
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM,
I've been down to Belize many times and although I like Placencia and even Hopkins, the place that will give you the best diving AND provide the sun and fun experience for the family is Ambergris Caye.  We stay at the Blue Tang Inn there as its right on the beach, near town and has two dive shop piers right in front of it.