Remember me
Lost Password Register

All About Being Under the Ice...
12-14-2002, 01:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2002, 08:15 PM by freedivernd.)
All About Being Under the Ice...
Here's my initial take on going under the ice.... ;D

it's 559 kb in size... sorry.

Fred

Cold and dark down there huh?
12-14-2002, 01:23 PM,
Re:All About Being Under the Ice...
A few pictures from above the ice.. not 1/2 meg in size Wink

I did take several under the water but it was dark.. don't know if they'll turn out.

Fred
12-14-2002, 05:18 PM,
I love your pictures!!!!
OK...What are you using for exposure??? (Dry,Wet etc...)
I am going to take an ice diving cert class this winter and I pretty much have to try it in 7MM wet...COLD!!!
Thanks for sharing...Looks like you had a blast!!!!

Thanks...Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
12-14-2002, 08:13 PM,
Jean,

Although I wasn't in the water long (about 1/2 hour) I was fine in my 5mm wetsuit, it's custom fit, open cell inside and closed cell out side. One thing that really helps is when I'm out of the water it dries almost instantly, and does not seem to let any water in. I didn't get wet except for the cream rinse/water(hot) mix I have to use in it to get it on and the little bit of water that entered when I went down to let the air out of it. Only thing that got chilled was my fingertips. I'm looking for better gloves now.

With this warm weather we're having I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go, hope you can have some of the same for your class.

Fred
12-15-2002, 07:37 AM,
Fred, Great photos. We need to get you written up in some magazines, just like the Lake Superior surfers. Paul
12-15-2002, 04:02 PM,
Fred,
Great posts - thanks for the pics and vid. I love it - free ice diving!
Hey, the ice looked a bit thin - was it safe Wink? Also, no one was holding the line - seems the reel was just sitting on the ice. I thought a heavy line and a line-tender were needed.
Jean is doin the ice diving class thing, and you just convinced me it may be an absolute blast.
Take care. And congrats. How deep did you make it under the ice?
Dan
Dan L
12-15-2002, 06:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2002, 06:50 PM by freedivernd.)
DanL,
Going under the ice was a hoot! I'm hoping to go again real soon. I should have covered the hole with some insulation board so it doesn't freeze over, and I may do that yet.

The ice was 12 inches thick, fortunately I had a 16" chainsaw. After I put myself into the hole the first time I decided it may be safer to forego the line tied to myself, I think maybe next time I would re-consider it (definetly I would use it on a deeper dive) but will have to do more homework on just how to fasten it, I would want to be able to unhook it quickly, and as my time under the ice is retricted by how long I can hold my breath I didn't want to be getting my legs or fins all tied up in a rope and be dealing with that under the ice. Not this first time under the ice anyway. Maybe I was wrong but I really decided I was safer without it. It was so much like swimming in the summer, and I never have a tender line then, so.. I just dropped an anchor rope for a guide to find the hole. It was only a little over 20' deep, I was hoping to see some carp but it was way too dark. I think a lot of the reason it was so dark was because on the surface the bright sunshine on the snow was in big contrast to the shade under the ice and my eyes couldn?t adjust quick enough. Next time I'm bringing welding goggles or super dark sunglasses to offset that problem. This was the first time I ever did this so it was a learning experience. The reason I said about it being "kinda scary" is I definitely could not see the opening until I was virtually in it and with my lack of experience under the ice, when I was at the bottom I found myself thinking..?I better get back to the surface in case it takes me ½ minute to find the hole. So, needless to say, no more than a few seconds bottom time for the first time out. Next time, along with a dropped line I would place a piece of carpet on either side of the hole to help distinguish where it is, unless I come up with a better idea. I did drill a ½ hole in the ice and placed an eyebolt there to tie the rope too and to give my buddy Dave (the camera guy) a place to put his foot against should he need to help me out of the hole.

When I started this plan my main concerns were; getting the ice out of the hole - I cut it into 3 pieces and just pushed it under the ice, no problem: getting myself out of the hole - that was much easier than I ever thought it would be, not the slightest concern: how the initial shock of the cold water might affect my motor control - wasn't an issue, I never felt the water, except my fingertips, basically stayed dry in my wetsuit.

Fred

edit - pasted from word processor and all my hyphenations turned into ? marks.
12-17-2002, 12:04 AM,
It is official, you-the-man!! Glad you had a good time and made it back safely. I would think though that "kinda scary" would be quite an understatement.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
12-17-2002, 10:37 AM,
OMG! Fred, you are totally mental!
loved the pix and movie