Remember me
Lost Password Register

Vintage equipment identification
07-02-2007, 11:41 AM,
Vintage equipment identification
PLEASE HELP ??? ??? ??? ???

I've recently come into possession of an older single hose regulator set-up.  I think this one may even pre-date my Calypso J regulator I had as a kid.

I hooked it up to a tank today, pressurized the system, worked the purge a bit and breathed from it...not too bad really.

My dilemma is that I have no idea when it was made or which version it is.  I'm kind of assuming that it was probably one of the very early single hoses manufactured by Aqua lung, but would REALLY like to know more.
Thanks,
Art 

Attached Files
.jpg   second stage.JPG (Size: 67.49 KB / Downloads: 253)
.jpg   1st stage.JPG (Size: 61.84 KB / Downloads: 261)
.jpg_thumb   second stage.JPG_thumb (Size: 36.71 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   1st stage.JPG_thumb (Size: 35.23 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM,
Re: Vintage equipment identification
The single hose Calypso came out in 1961. In the 1961 U.S.Divers catalog it's catalog # 1030 price $70.00. It was used by Hannes Keller for his world record dive to 820 feet. If the diaphragm is still flexible, take it out and dive with it, it's still a good regulator.
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM,
Thanks so much for the additional information.  I KNEW YOU'D KNOW Big Grin
I'm really glad ta know the date.  The reg is just barely older than me  ;D

I notice that the high pressure port is not flat on the inside but inset.  I'll need to pick up a plug for it.  Today  I inserted a "modern" plug when I pressurized it and breathed through it... it leaked around the O ring.  Any ideas where I could find the type of plug that would fit???  I would just LOVE to take it DIVING. 
07-03-2007, 07:39 AM,
I would certainly have to do some homework prior to attempting to speak intelligently about vintage dive gear...BUT....someone took that reg to 800ft.....YIKES....
Oops Did I really say that?????
07-03-2007, 09:00 AM,
Two years ago at Wazee a group of our vintage divers went to 187 ft using vintage double hose regulators. Will your modren regulators of today still be working 50 years from now?
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM,
Well...I certainly don't have any plans to go to 800 feet.  If I did, with my curent level of training and experience, I think it would be a one way trip.  My understanding about world records is that you have to come back up too...

I am, however, planning to dive this reg, hopefully yet this summer.  When I do I'll be sure to have someone else along with a camera and post a pic or two..

Thanks again to Vintage Diver and DQ for all the GREAT information ;D ;D
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM,

Didn't 2 support divers die in that attempt? I'm not impling gear. If I remember the correct story they didn't have enough experience and got into trouble.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-04-2007, 09:53 AM,

I dont think most regs of this day( maybe poseidons) will still be functioning 50 years from now..but they are alot more complex now..and i think probably for good reason....still it is very impressive that vintage stuff is still divable..understanding that the diaphram is the main issue with them....but arent they like breathing through as straw at any moderate to deep depth...

also- do any of you have a link the story of the 800ft dive on this reg....was it modified???
Oops Did I really say that?????
07-04-2007, 12:29 PM,
dive some of the vintage equipment be for you tell people your opinions on them. I have found some older regs to breath as well as my own. Granted I have never taken a double hose regs to great depths. But diving with the vintage dive club I have been to 125' .
07-04-2007, 01:47 PM,
Will's right, you should try diving with a vintage double hose, you will be surprised how easy breathing they are.