Remember me
Lost Password Register

? for DIR students
05-28-2002, 01:22 AM,
? for DIR students
I need some advice from the DIR practioners. I followed JoelW's link on swimming backwards. It looked pretty easy and I thought I had it. That is until I tried it and got no where. I might have moved back an inch in several kicks. ???<br><br>I tried doing it like a backwards frog kick, but obviously I did not get it. I know it's hard to diagnose over a board, but I thought some of you might have had some difficulty at first and did (insert solution) and had some luck. Any input would be appreciated. <br><br>I think the next time the DIRF train comes to town, I need to get on board.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-30-2002, 03:34 AM,
Re: ? for DIR students
One thing about the kick is making sure that you don't kick forward when you straighten your legs out at the start of the kick cycle.  In the video the blades of the fins are pushed straight back with the bottom of the fin are in a line with the tip.  Another thing is that some of the kicks are more difficult depending on the fins used. I have never used them, so I can comment personally, but I have been told that the back kick is much more difficult with split fins.<br><br>As far as another DIRF class goes, it will depend on how many people are interested.  The instructors stated an interest in coming back.  However the next class gets organized, it will take at least 4-6 people initially willing to spend the money to make it happen and then pick up the rest of the class along the way.  In the recent class, with 9 people the averaged cost for everything came to about $290.  The class was $200.  The rest was  airline tickets, tanks, etc.  Two of the people in the class housed the instructors and we used the classroom at Scuba Dive and Travel for lectures.  The diving was done at Square.  I noticed that the class in Detroit charged $275.00, as did we.  I would recommend a higher cost for the next class, dependent on the number of students.  <br><br>I will say though, having organized the first one here, that it was well worth the cost and the time.  <br><br>JoelW
06-03-2002, 06:22 PM,
Re: ? for DIR students
Thanks Joel! That was definately a problem I was having. I would start by going forward, and if I was lucky, would start going backward on my kick. It was kind of frustrating to break even if anything. I will try my fin placement on my return kick. I figure during my saftey stops, I got 3 minutes to kill anyway, so maybe by the end of summer I might be able to get somewhere.<br><br>Thanks again.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom