Remember me
Lost Password Register

Otter Tail County Diving
07-10-2007, 03:26 PM,
Otter Tail County Diving
Can anyone recommend a good diving lake around Fergus Falls, MN?  There doesn't seem to be any really popular locations in that area but there certainly are a lot of lakes.  If you have had good or bad experiences in any lakes in that area I would like to hear about them.

Thanks!
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM,
Re: Otter Tail County Diving
the ottertail river is good in many places.. the outlet at ottertail lake, phelps mill, other spots along the ottertail river.  Lots of lakes are good.. north of there.. pickeral lake, e. & w. silent, a bit farther north and east.. more near Vergas.. Little Mcdonald, paul lake, lake 6, lake 7.. other lakes are good in the spring but lose the vis quickly after the warm up.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-11-2007, 07:59 AM,
Thanks!!  I know where most all of those lakes are.  I'll check out east or west silent and report back what I find.  BTW, I think the Phelps Mill festival is this weekend?  I need to swing in there and get a pork chop sandwich!!
07-11-2007, 08:22 AM,
The best consistent good vis of all those lakes I listed I'd say Paul Lake is the best.. and a nice drop to about 50' just east and out from the boat landing.
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM,
Wow, the DNR secchi disk reading claims 23 ft clarity on that lake!!  Although that was from 2002 but must have pretty descent visibility anyway.  Thanks again!!

07-11-2007, 11:04 AM,
I have a place on Rush lake  you want to stay away from that one, I dove pickeral north of DL on monday the vis was great, the sun was streaming down on a huge northern and the colors on his sides were unreal, hovered and watched him for about 5 min.

give me a call if you are looking for a partner, I will be back up at the cabin next week for a few weeks.

Doug

651-764-3400
AOW
07-11-2007, 09:25 PM,
about a sechhie disc
Remember that when they are looking at the disc they are looking down the water column. As divers we look across it. cutting the vis down by half.
07-12-2007, 05:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2007, 05:41 AM by freedivernd.)
Re: about a secchi disc
and also.. one person may have better sight than another.. and be able to see the secchi disc easier, or poorer sight and not see the disc as deep. Wink

Secchi readings are really just a guidline as far as diving goes.. generally, if the readings are high, the visibility underwater is reflected in that, but I have seen where the secchi reading was fairly high (16), the water was super clear in the top 10-15', and then dark as night after 20' (Turtle Lake, Becker Co.).

Also, we have all seen what can happen at different times during the year/month/week even.. one lake I know of near Perham gets print in the local papers every year it seems, about how it's the cleanest/clearest lake in the area... yeah right.. I've been in a lot of those lakes and maybe for a weekend it is, but that's about it.
Fred
07-17-2007, 06:47 PM,
Many of the lakes are great in the spring,  but the algae bloom is growing now.

I'll be down there about the week of the 5th-11th.  If Doug hasn't shown you all of them,  I'd be glad to join you for a dive or 2.      Even if the vis isn't great,  we can  go treasure hunting!
Doug, you in?
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
07-18-2007, 07:29 AM,
Sounds great!  I should be in that area on the 5th.  Hopefully we can all meet up for a dive.  Doug said Paul lake is usually pretty good.  Give me a call and we can work out the details.

763-242-9227