Remember me
Lost Password Register

rainy lake
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM,
rainy lake
has anyone ever done any diving up there?  i've got an invite to go on a houseboat for a week and i figured i'd check to see if it might be worth bringing some scuba gear.
07-14-2007, 07:53 PM,
Re: rainy lake
The water on Rainy is pretty brown due to tannins that run off into the water. Vis can't be more than a couple feet in most areas. Maybe try a snorkel but I would leave the gear at home.

Have fun up there!
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM,
Re: rainy lake
Last summer I was on a fishing trip on Crane Lake (attaches to Rainy) and only had snorkel gear with me but the shore line to 12 feet provided 4 hours of awesome finds. By awesome I mean junk but lots of variety.  Stove, Fireplace irons (dogs), doors and hardware, Chair, Propeller, Motor cover, ??? stuff.

Vis without a light at 10 feet was 8 or so but I would think a good light could throw that out to 10/12. It was brown but without a lot of suspension so I'd expect a light to be of great help.

Punchline. I would bring my gear next time. I can't find it now but last summer they even had a resort that offered air fills on the lake but I can't find it now.

We stayed at Pine Point Lodge.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.