Remember me
Lost Password Register

Something for ocean currents...
12-19-2002, 10:33 AM,
Something for ocean currents...
Ok guys, I have a question...
When I did my dive on the Spiegel Grove in the keys in Dec
I did *NOT* dare take my camera down there because:
1) This was the first time I dove it and I wanted both hands free.
2) Was not sure how strong the current was.
(Turns out the current was pretty mild that morning..YAY!!!)

My camera is now a IkeLite Auto 35 with strobe
I.E. Its takes both hands to get a shot...

So here is my question:
Is there anything I could use to attach myself to a descent line and/or a railing on the ship. Then the current would not be an issue, and I could take pics while flying in the breeze, so to speak. I am going to get a reel-type cord to hook onto my BC for the camera. (Saw one used by a divemaster down there...works pretty neat!!!) That will at least keep the camera on my person and with the long cord its not a problem to keep it hooked to me at all times.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, negative comments etc???

Thanks again in advance for the advice!!!!

Jean ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
12-20-2002, 09:54 AM,
Re:Something for ocean currents...
Hmmm... Just wondering (if your buddy is willing) if they could hold you steady while you take your shots? I'm just thinking that the pictures you take would be in various locations, distances from the ship, etc... so having a line probably wouldn't work out too well since it would have to be constantly adjusted to 'hold' you where you need to be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?

Also, if the current is bad enough where you'd need a line, I'm guessing the quality of the pictures wouldn't be that great anyway with all the debris floating through the water (even with a strobe).

Anyone have any thoughts on that? I've never done ocean/drift diving so this is all a guess.
12-20-2002, 12:53 PM,
I think you have the jist of it down.
Maybe I have to just get used to shooting photos with one hand.
When I am in a pool next, I may try to just try shooting photos with my right hand, and holding my left hand
at my side (Simulating holding onto a line, railing etc) to see how clumsy that would be. I guess that I could wrap my feet (legs) around the descent line for pics there.

And I agree with your point about taking picture away from the ship in a current. Would most definately have to be while on the ascent/descent line(s) -or- taken from a hand-hold on the ship.
I would not attempt any "free-floating" pictures. That is why I think that a static length of line (3-5 feet) would work, since I would always be shooting pics with a "hand-hold" right next to me.
Which is what made my first dive on the Spiegel so great...We ran down to 94 feet and did a horizontal swim for about 5 mins before curving up to 50-60 foot level. In this case, holding a camera would be a cinch with no current.
But as they say, you never know the current situation until you get down there!!!!
(Unless the current isn't current...That's bad!!!!)

Thanks...Jean ;D
12-20-2002, 02:02 PM,
Another way you may be able to do it is using a jon line. These are typically used to attach yourself to the descent/ascent line while making deco or safety stops. They help to keep crowds away from the main line and keep you from going up and down with the waves if the boat anchor line is your ascent line. These usually have a carabener on at least one of the ends and a hand loop on the other. Getting better at taking pictures while fighting current, bouyancy etc is always a good practice but it is nice to have a little extra safety. Plus, if the ascent line is crowded it will come in handy there too.
12-20-2002, 02:32 PM,
Now that would be a challenge! Trying to take pictures in a
current.
You would have to have a buddy willing to help stabilize and
protect you from being pushed into coral or plants so you could focus on your shot.
That jon line sounds like it would help from the ascent/descent
line. My concern when you talked about holding on was waves jerking you when the boat rode up on one.
12-20-2002, 03:10 PM,
Jean, I have the same camera set up as you do and I know and feel your pain. As yet I have not tried taking pictures in the currents yet mostly for the reasons that you have given. But then when some shots come out bad I have a good excuse to use besides operator error ;D. One thing I use is going to sound a little complicated and cumbersome, but in practice works well for me. First I took a SS bolt snap (brass will work as well) and some braided nylon line. I took the line and looped it on the bottom on the strobe handle. I did this because if you tug really hard on each loop, it will pull under the rubber handle. Then wrap it through the end of the bolt snap and repeat. This camera is pretty heavy, so I use at least 4 wraps with the line. Then tie it with a square knot and heat the knot to melt it a little. The heat is very important, my first try I forgot to heat the knot, it came undone, and I got to practice my search and recovery pattern till I found the camera. Then go to a dive shop and get an old BC tank strap, 2 weight keepers, and 2 D-rings. Once you have the D-rings put on the strap and secured with the keepers, just put your strap on your tank and secure it. Then put on your BC and gear up as normal. Your bolt snap will fit on to your D-rings, and you will be amazed at how easy it is to carry. This way, when you need your hands, you can snap the camera on to the rings, and when you want to take a shot, that camera can be deployed pretty easily. The only solution I have found with one handed shooting, is to remove the camera from the strobe assembly, and use the regular flash. However this is not working too well for me as I have several rolls of backsplatter. But heck, if I took perfect pictures I wouldn't be able to justify practicing so much, although I'm sure I could find another excuse.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
12-20-2002, 03:25 PM,
Hey, thanks guys!!! That was what someone mentioned to me down in FL was a jon line.
Interesting you should mention the ascent/descent line crowding. There were three of us on the ascent line doing our safety stop (15 ft mark). There was a piece of marker tape on the line at the 15 ft point (That was cool!!!) Anyway, I was stuck in the middle at about the 17-18 foot mark. It would have been nice just to clip on and move a ways away from the line.
And thanks for the boat issue too. However, the waves have been small (1-2 foot) variety, so I have not run into much of the high rising/falling on anchor/mooring lines.
Last note...If I am in a fairly heavy current, I usually give up on the pictures. I usually need all my blonde wits about me just to handle the current problems. With experience and time, it will get better!!!!

Thanks a lot !!!!!

Jean
;D
12-22-2002, 05:12 PM,
Hey, I might give that a try!!! (tbrown's idea). Although I would need help from someone in a dive shop to rig the thing up.
(I am terrible with mechanical things... Sad )
But since our camera setups are similar, it should work. And it sounds easy to use too!!!
(Maybe you should patent your idea!!!)
By the way, I ordered a Jon Line (6 foot length). It was very inexpensive.
However, the dive shop person told me he would be cautious about clipping onto something like a wreck because of the depth involved. He said, what happens if for some insane reason, the line will not de-clip from the railing/line etc. Since it is made out of nylon mesh, it would not cut easy.
Just something I need to be very aware of!!! Maybe, an explosive charge on the end of line could blow me free....

Thanks again for the wonderful ideas/hints...

Jean ;D