Remember me
Lost Password Register

Primary Reel
07-26-2007, 04:11 PM,
Primary Reel
I am looking for a longer and better reel then the DR (blue) reel I have. It's ok now that I turned the handle but it's way too short, 150? I don't like the red.

I'd like something like an 800 foot compact for cave later and OW/low vis navigation now. What's good value?

I'll even consider a 1200 as the Halcyon is nice and they used a big knob for cold water (may be optional).

I'll buy used if anyone has something close.

Steve
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-26-2007, 05:38 PM,
Re: Primary Reel
Check out DiveRiteExpress on line, then, and or Ebay.
                                                  Al
07-26-2007, 06:33 PM,
Salvo's reels are nice.
07-27-2007, 08:41 AM,
I'll echo the Salvo - picked a 400' primary one up over the winter and love it.

They were able to string it with 36# instead of 24# for me.
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM,
So help me on this, #36 is smaller? How much fits? I'd realy like the Salvo 800 size but restring it for something like 1000.
07-27-2007, 10:31 PM,
The reels come standard with #24 line which is typically used in caves and #36 is thicker and typically used on wrecks.  The 800 would hold 800 feet of #24 line and somewhat less than that using #36. 
07-28-2007, 06:33 AM,
Thanks Lonnie,
I made the connection between the #24 and 800 but I was hoping #36 was smaller(cave) and I could overstring it a little.

I'll order the Salvo after a little shopping over at TDS.

Thanks.
07-28-2007, 08:18 AM,
The next size smaller from #24 I believe is #18.  You can get that at Home Depot.  It's labeled as Mason's line and comes in fluorescent yellow and pink.  I have that on one of my spools.  That's what we used for the guideline in Lake Mine that runs from the pillar out to the buildings site.  It comes in 250' and 500' spools.  You can probably get longer spools online somewhere.  The main thing is to make sure you get the braided line and not the twisted variety.  The #18 works alright for open water guidelines but probably not a good idea to use line that thin in an overhead environment. 
07-28-2007, 08:38 AM,
Right. Given how close the Gold Line is the to entrance of most caves it's silly to bring a huge reel anyway. I have the standard spool and reel that I used for class. This one is going to be OW most of the times but in the event I finish up cave training I could put #24 on it or #36 if I start doing wrecks.

I was really looking for well designed hardware first and crazy long line second. I got frustrated in Superior a few weeks back as I wanted to do some searching from a pivot and my main reel was much shorted then I expected. 150 sounds long but it isn't. Given the conditions I could have dragged a stick in the sand and just followed that back. Smile

PS: why are you on-line at 9am? Aren't you suppose to be searching for a tractor in Saint James?
07-28-2007, 10:46 AM,
That was yesterday actually.  We didn't find the lawn mower but we did find an old row boat in 60 feet of water.