Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fred's next trip?
12-22-2002, 10:05 PM,
Fred's next trip?
Wasn't sure where to put this one but this is a close as there is to a "Oh my God, look what that guy is doing!" forum. I always new that free-divers where a different breed, but this takes the cake! This is real footage, of real Great Whites and the guy that's crazy enough to free-dive with them.

First Ice free-diving, now this. Do free-divers also leap over tall buildings in a single bound? I think I'll stick to something safer like tap dancing in a land mine field. ;D
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
12-23-2002, 08:33 AM,
Re:Fred's next trip?
Tom,
I gotta feeling going under the ice is a bit more predictable than swimmin' with great whites. Good pics though, nice fins, huh?

The other day I was cruising the net and found the following 9mb "under the ice video" that I thought represented very well my feelings and experience, not only about being under the ice but about being deep under the water. It's a big download I know but a great video - I thought. I showed it to my wife thinking that this could help explain my passion but she thought it was sick, made her think I was more crazy then she already does + she thought it was very weird. I debated on posting it as her reaction really surprised me. I didn't think it was THAT wierd. (she didn't want to watch after the b.o) I guess her and I are at different ends when it comes to freediving. I'm surprised, as she's quite a fish and loves being under the water (just not under the ice and not so deep).

I'm designing a sled now, a rapid trip to -36.5 meters would be a good goal for the coming new year...

under ice video -
needs window's media player, links to the vid software are at their main site:

Lot's of good short videos at and not all freediving - scuba, hockey, spearfishing, etc.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-23-2002, 07:19 PM,
About the video, um, err... ???
Sorry I have to vote with your wife on this one. It was really cool, right up till the CPR part. I give it a thumbs up for the shooting, editing, storyline, soundtrack and special effects. Black out- thumbs down. Something about watching water exiting a prone diver's lungs just scares me. Heck just doing his warm-up on the ice with no exposure protection took much more dedication than I ever could posses. Can't deny it, free-divers are a breed apart.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
12-24-2002, 08:07 AM,
Re: that shark dive...
I can't believe they only get $150/person... I thought it would be more than that. Almost sounds tempting, maybe we could get enough people to rent the whole boat? Do I have 5 more takers!? Big Grin
12-24-2002, 10:52 AM,
Looks awesome, but too rich for my blood (literaly).
The more I learn about diving, the more I realize just how many different types of divers there are.
I.E. Something for everyone!!!

Merry Christmas....Jean ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
12-25-2002, 01:31 AM,
Hadn't even dawned on me to check the price. Call me chicken but I think the best place to view Great Whites is on the Discovery Channel. I think if I saw one in the water I would totally ruin my wetsuit.

Tom