Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ore-B-Gone
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM,
Ore-B-Gone
I have heard that the water level at Ore-B-Gone has dropped about 20' due to the reopening and mining of another pit nearby.

I was told that this has made it difficult to enter, any recent info would be helpful.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
07-30-2007, 08:38 PM,
Re: Ore-B-Gone
That's correct.  The best place to enter the water is from the boat launch.  It's difficult to enter and exit from the beach because the water level goes from knee high to a sharp drop-off. 
08-04-2007, 07:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2007, 07:26 PM by pitdvr.)
We actually felt it was easier to enter and exit this last July at the boat launch than it was at the beach etc last year.  While there over the 4th a July, a guy on a 4 wheeler stopped to talk to us at the landing.  He said his uncle could fill tanks in the area.  I gave him a business card and his aunt just e-mailed me with the information.  Please let me know if anyone wants the information.
08-14-2007, 08:45 AM,
Any updates on ore-b gone?.......

have not dove there before, but i am going to give it a shot...i have a friend( new diver) that wants to get in the water..and lord knows i need to give it a try again.  Is there currently an exit that will allow me to walk out of the water?....anyone know what the thermocline is currently at and or water temps...i am considering a 3 mil..as i dont plan to drop deeper than 40 ft...but i dont know if that theory will hold strong in this quarry.  Also...can does anyone hold a link to the map of Ore-b-gone....i want to make sure i show him the cool stuff...

Thanks
Deano

oh- is anyone planning on being up there....Next weekend( not this weekend)..probably sunday
Oops Did I really say that?????
08-14-2007, 10:47 AM,
Dean, here is a link to Tall Pine's map.
The best entry/exit point is at the boat launch.  Viz has been down at Ore Be Gone the past few years.  We had about 10 to 15 feet of viz there in June.  If you go to the left of the boat launch you will find the Huey Helicopter in around 25 to 30 feet of water and the school bus is in around 55 to 60 feet.  Both of those sites have floating buoy balls on them.  Out in front of the beach the buoy markers are from left to right...Training platform in 50 feet of water, Army trainer plane in around 35 feet of water and railroad speeder in 20 feet of water.  Hope this helps.  Also, if you are interested you may want to try Lake Mine at Giants Ridge just past Biwabik and St. James Pit in Aurora.  Do a search in the Local Diving forum for more info.  You should be ok in Ore Be Gone in a 3 mil down to 30 feet.  It may be a bit chilly below that though.  I'd be cold myself but it depends on your tolerance to the cold.
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM,
Lonnie0
thanks..that was the exact info i was looking for....regarding the 3 mil and the water temp...Good news.....i have plenty of extra natural insulation...bad news..i havent dove wet in fresh water for 4 years.....i'll probably bring both 7mil and 3 mil...  I have put thougt into lake mine..and may hit it for a extra dive...mostly for his sake, i am looking for something unusual to see..i figured ore b gone to have some of those things

Thanks again
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????