Remember me
Lost Password Register

HWY 36
08-05-2007, 09:19 AM,
HWY 36
For those that didn't read the bridge survey this one effect many of us on the way to Perch, I think. It's listed as "intolerable"
Source:

HWY. 36

Eastbound over Hwy 95, 1 mile south of Stillwater

Built: 1959 • Lanes: 2

Average daily traffic 9,750 trips

Bridge length 329 feet

Sufficiency rating 27.4

Structural evaluation: Basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-05-2007, 11:39 AM,
Re: HWY 36
I dove Perch one time, the vis wasn't great, the drive was scenic.  Now I know I took our lives in my hands driving across that bridge. 

At least the Governor has changed his mind about increasing the gas tax to pay for highway projects like it should be! :Smile
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
08-05-2007, 06:09 PM,

Let's be intellectually honest.  We could have raised billions in gas taxes and the 35W bridge still would not have been replaced.  The bridge was examined and the engineers determined that it did not need to be replaced until 2015+.  So do you really think those billions would have been spent on a few bridges or maybe something like more education spending?  People like to pretend that there is some mythical account that is used for spending money on roads and bridges in MN.  It's called the General Fund.  And every politician and lobbyist has their sticky fingers in it.
--Jason
08-05-2007, 10:31 PM,
When I saw an Administrator had posted something....I thought it was "Moved to Non-Diving Discussions."  Glad to see you put in your $.02 Wink
08-06-2007, 09:33 AM,
I wondered about putting it there but then it was about getting to Perch and I wanted everyone to see it. I don't read Non-diving.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-06-2007, 02:49 PM,
Jason, you are absolutely correct. Raising the gas tax would not have saved the bridge, or any other bridge for that matter.
08-06-2007, 11:14 PM,
Yep Chuck-- He did and right he is.  Don't fall for the knee jerk reaction.  Noe get this thread off the website and put it where it belongs..  In the Smoking bars....  Wink
08-12-2007, 08:04 AM,
Today 8-12-07 the 36 Bridge is Front Page of the Minneapolis Tribune!  Too bad it took the 35W bridge collapse to bring the rest of these "Maintenance Issues" into news!
08-13-2007, 11:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM by dr mindcrime.)
plus don't jump to conclusions about the bridge collapsing like the rest of our "lets raise taxes everything is a crisis media". It probably will come out that the bridge was just fine but overloaded un-equally by construction equipment and materials. Send more money in yourself if you think you don't pay enough in taxes and think it will be spent to make you feel safer.
now lets go diving.
08-13-2007, 09:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2007, 09:50 PM by aknelsonone.)
The interesting thing regarding the general fund is how the money is spend.
Minnesota had lots of money for all the sports facilities the State and Hennepin county approved.
The "icing on the cake"  was that a by Law REQUIRED Public Referendum was again avoided; and the not authorized spending was pushed  through.
The lobbist financed corruption just has done it's work.

I hope the I 35 bridge collaps incoveniences many people; and therefore more poeple show-up at the public meetings to let our representatives know who is in charge spending our tax money. It seems such weak-up calls are required to focus our priorities.

I hope we see YOU at the next meeting with your Senator to share your concerns. I have done my part and voiced my concerns.  How about YOU ?

It has been said that politicians and lobbyist are honorable poeple. I  agree fully with this statement.
Statistical data shows a bit more relative picture about  our representatives especially in Washington. Therefore facts are speaking for it self.

Andreas

Andreas