Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira Dive Site Questions
08-10-2007, 09:18 AM,
Madeira Dive Site Questions
I have a few questions regarding diving the Madeira. While on a vacation up north we stopped by the site. They did a great job on the parking area, path and steps down. I wish I had my gear with. The water was calm as a bathtub - zero waves. So I was wondering if some of you who have dove this site could give some advice:

1.) The water was very calm that day - is that unusual or is there a certain wind direction or weather pattern that caused those conditions.

2.) In late summer, early fall are there any average surface and thermocline water temps to expect.

3.) Do you have any recommendations for divers doing this site for the first time (ie currents, misleading conditions, park specific rules, etc)

4.) Do most people (that actually tow a float) just clip it to the buoy lines during the dive?

5.) Is it worth renting a DPV for a site like this and if so, can they tow two divers at a time.

Our group is pretty small. Most already dive dry with good coldwater gear. One or two are thinking of diving it in 7mm farmer john's.

08-10-2007, 11:06 AM,
Re: Madeira Dive Site Questions
Not at all unusual but typically when I've been there the waves have been anywhere from 1 to 3 feet.  Anything more than 3 feet and I usually don't dive that site.  It's tough getting in and out of the water when the waves knock you off your feet.
Quote:2.) In late summer, early fall are there any average surface and thermocline water temps to expect.
The last few years I've been up there around the first or second week of September the temps have been in the mid to upper 50's down to 100 feet.  It can very greatly though.  Often times it's 46F or less from the surface on down.

Quote:3.) Do you have any recommendations for divers doing this site for the first time (ie currents, misleading conditions, park specific rules, etc)
There can be a current if you go out beyond the point but there really isn't anything to see out there anyway so if you stay on the wreck you should be fine.  If your air is limited as in a single AL80 it's best to surface swim out to the wreck and when you are turning the dive then swim underwater back to shore.  If you swim underwater out to the wreck you won't get as much bottom time unless you are using larger steel tanks or doubles.

Quote:4.) Do most people (that actually tow a float) just clip it to the buoy lines during the dive?
Typically it's not a good idea to tie your dive float to the buoy because boats use that line to tie off to.  We usually just shoot a surface marker or liftbag from underwater if we are going to ascend in open water.

Quote:5.) Is it worth renting a DPV for a site like this and if so, can they tow two divers at a time.

A DPV would be nice but it's not necessary.

08-13-2007, 03:22 PM,
Re: Madeira Dive Site Questions
Thanks for the info Lonnie!