Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ore B Gone
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM,
Ore B Gone
Dove three dives Sunday at Ore B Gone.  First one was out to the bus.  Found the bus, viz wasn't very good...maybe 15 feet or so.  Started back along the bay to the boat launch.  Viz got so bad, you couldn't even look down and see your fins!  Some of it was milky, and another area it was particulates being blown from the other side of the pit.  I've NEVER seen it that poor up there.

Second dive was off the beach area...quite the drop off going in.  Viz, once again was around 15' all the way down to 60 feet or so...it just never got better...found the skeleton, the boat, the speeder.

Third dive, we went to the plane out from the beach area, and back tracked a couple of times...compasses don't work well over there...ended up in 100', and the viz was finally decent....30' or so, albeit cold...41 degrees.  Oh, 71 on the surface!

The lack of ground water coming in, or the lowering of the water table in that area has to be contributing to the bad viz...and I'm sure the fish habitat has changed dramatically for them fishies, too!

08-21-2007, 11:05 PM,
Re: Ore B Gone
Hi,
  four of us went up to Ore b gone Tuesday rainy yet nice.
  visisbility was around 20-25 feet a good dive site.
            Jerry
08-26-2007, 03:04 PM,
I have never dove the pit, but may be driving up over the Labor Day weekend. With the water level being down and the poor vis, is it worth the trip from St. Cloud?
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM,
The viz is definately down but it's worth checking out the dive sites if you haven't seen them.  If you want much better viz you could take the short trip from Ore Be Gone over to Lake Mine or St. James Pit. 
08-26-2007, 08:10 PM,
Dove orebgone for the first time today....took a new diver with..stayed above 70ft..hit the bus, chopper and jeep..was quite happy with many things..firstly..my buddy did quite well despite never having dove past 20ft..and not having any dives other than his checkout dives..which was 3 years ago...he is a natural fish, so was pretty comfortable...i rebriefed him on diving and had him plan the dive..similar to a refresher course.......secondly.......the diving was pretty nice...i felt the viz was pretty strong....30ft at the chopper and 20ft or so at the bus.....very confortable.......and lastly...i personally felt good...while i was a little off having not dove in  a wet suit in 6 years....i did not have much pain and felt good getting out of the water....this means i will be diving again and may take a stab at diving again.....

I hope you all get up there..and anyone that hasnt dove it..it has everything wazee has plus things to see and close to a city big enough to do many things in..

Good diving

deano
Oops Did I really say that?????