Remember me
Lost Password Register

Late Season Visibility
09-04-2007, 09:16 PM,
Late Season Visibility
I'm a newbie and would like more information on visibility in the local lakes as we get closer to fall. My husband and I are planning one last dive this year in the next week or so. I'd like to find out when the lakes around here turnover and what is the visibility like when it does happen? I'm fairly certain we'll be fine in the next couple of weeks given the warm weather we've had.

Are there any lakes around here that are better than others? Or does it depend on the year? Anyone dive anything lately that they would recommend/not recommend?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!  Smile
Theresa
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM,
Re: Late Season Visibility
In the next few weeks you should be fine as far as turnover goes. Although I have not been diving in a couple weeks the vis should be getting better as many species of algae die off.

Visibility after turnover can vary from lake to lake and from year to year. If things cool off very quickly and the lake turns over quickly it can really stir things up as that cold water sinks at a high rate and causes underwater currents that can lift silt off of the bottom. If things cool slowly, like it is going so far this fall, those currents are not as intense and less silt gets lifted.

Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com