Remember me
Lost Password Register

Can Someone Identify This...
09-24-2007, 03:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM by Qix.)
Can Someone Identify This...
...in this picture (and the next slide 46):

...recently I've had a few people ask what this is - I have no idea? These were on a submerged tree in Lake Louise at Crosby about 15'-20' deep about 3wks ago. In a video clip of one floating it even looked like it was moving (although I'd guess it to be just random water column movement while sinking).
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM,
Re: Can Someone Identify This...
Could it be egg sacks of some variety of fish, or Dragonfly larvae?  Cool pictures....Whatever they are!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM,
That is some kind of egg sack.

But in want to know WTF is this?

Is this Big Foot?  That is just wrong on so many levels to wear something like that...

Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
09-24-2007, 03:57 PM,
This link may clarify the above picture:

&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM,
Quote:Is this Big Foot?  That is just wrong on so many levels to wear something like that...

...you see - this is why no one can ever find bigfoot. He is extremely skilled at orienteering in the deep wood as is evident from this rare photo....

Can you blame me, with a camera in hand how can you not take that picture!!!

Actually, Mark is a blast to dive with!  He just has a thing for wild and exotic skins - and likes to share. Perhaps we should send this in to DiveGoddess to see if we've won something Smile
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM,
Qix, did you take the photos and do you hold the copyright to it?
If so, I might send it off to some of my friends at the TV Networks in NYC, Atlanta and CA.  You never know when something like that may be the next virial video or photo!!!
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM,
A note first, I needed to add a few more pics to the gallery which bumped the order slightly so I edited my first post. However, I'm not sure if your original post now points to the same picture you originally called out? They are all hilarious if you ask me.

To answer your question, of the four of us diving we brought a still camera and a u/w video cam. So we indeed took all of the pictures. Not sure what exactly is required to have them copyrighted? Looking at the series (with the slide order updated) here's who owns what:

Slide # 26 was taken as a still shot (my camera)
  Slide # 27 is a HDV Video Still          (my camera).
  Slide # 28 was taken with a P&S    (buddies camera)
  Slide # 29 was taken with a P&S    (buddies camera)
  Slide # 96 is a HDV Video Still          (my camera).

...if you can re-verify which one(s) of these you are most interested in I think we can figure something out. I know my buddy will be up for it. And I gotta think Mark would find it hilarious.
09-25-2007, 06:02 PM,
For the copyright stuff, just needed to make sure you guys shot the footage / pics in case someone else may need to obtain a license to use them.  I know a lot of producers and sometimes they get the oddest requests that they pass on to us. 
10-08-2007, 09:03 PM,
We spotted a bunch of those egg sacs at Wazee last weekend -- on submerged branches and the underside of the wooden platform.

The creature that lays those eggs is very thorough.
10-09-2007, 08:30 AM,
Excellent picture!

I like how you can see that they were laid in what looks like a continuous spiral around the branches. I'm starting to wonder if these things are only placed on submerged trees/wood. I don't recall seeing any of these on the bottom or on rocks or weeds. And although some were a bit deep, I believe all of them were at a depth where at least some sunlight would reach them.