Remember me
Lost Password Register

What I want in a dive shop.
10-06-2007, 07:03 PM,
What I want in a dive shop.
As most of us know, dive shops are not all the same and have their own "personality". (I'll let you determine what that means). Some of us will stop by any dive shop for an air fill, equipment purchase or whatever. And some of us will use only a specific shop for the same. In your nearly ideal world, what do you want to see, have or do with (in) a dive shop? Please keep this positive and name no names. Throw out any thoughts from the color of the dive flag they hang to walking on white sandy beach floors or to the color of long sleeved Hawaiian shirts the staff should wear. (no reference to any shops I know in the TC area)
10-07-2007, 08:19 AM,
Re: What I want in a dive shop.
I want a shop that will let me rent any of the gear they sell for say a week and if I like it buy one with credit given for the rental. That is, if I don't like it I'm out the cost of the rental and the shop made a few bucks, that's fair. If I buy they may keep only enough rental to cover the fraction of rental for wear and replacement. That way they don't lose money and I'm motivated to only test gear I really think I want.

I want a pool that's more then 12 feet deep. I know from my time on a swimming and diving team that diving wells (as in springboard) are 25 or so for the platforms. So put something in deep enough to actually test out gear.  30 meters would be nice but I'll accept 12.

Diving movie rentals. I would think there are plenty of diving movies to have some value. I own two on cave diving, I would think dive travel/destinations and wreck diving are available as well. Netflix®  doesn't carry these titles so you have to order/buy online. That's not an effective model for most of us.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-07-2007, 12:21 PM,
One that's helpful to new divers.
10-07-2007, 01:12 PM,

These are great ideas. Some of them are maybe easily done. The pool might be the long shot. But, what the H, this is an ideal shop.

10-07-2007, 01:36 PM,

Would that mean knowledgable staff?

If so, I'll add Staff that knows their products, about the training they offer, the local dive locations/ conditions and the trips they sell.

10-07-2007, 04:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM by arcFlash.)
I'm very happy with my shop and I don't see the new diver suffering that much. The LDS has everything to gain by getting them gear and making them happy so they continue. What about us guys with gear? Besides for a nice fireside chat and the odd free bee; what's a store to do? How would they sell anything but air to me? Assume I own 6 regs, twins, dry suit, reels and all that fun...

So lets think a minute...

Dry suit demos work, why not Pool Night, BC demos, Have them in March when summer fever hits hard. New divers need to have time on the tools so 'try 5 night' for $20. I know I'm looking for a better air cell but at $230 each try-and-fail isn't going to pass muster.

Scooter demos... (maybe limit to short list of first namers) I'd pay $75 for an evening of scootering with Torpedo 2500 Scooter, Aeris Voyager and a Mako. These are not great scooters but then you're not spending $3.5k on a Gavin. 

Night dive light demo... HID, Backup Hid, Rat lights... What ever else they have...Who doesn't like a night dive. Smile  You could play a nice game of hide and 'see'!

Pool hockey leagues, snorkels only. We just want to be in the water right? Tie in a fin demo and crank up the performance.

10-07-2007, 10:18 PM,

Having Demo days like DUI? I don't know how DUI works out any orders. Do you order directly thru them or thru a LDS? If a shop were to sponser a manufacturer's demo day, they would want any sales from the event, of course. But, I could see a participant going to another shop of choice and ordering the product. Maybe the reason we don't see more of this.

10-08-2007, 08:20 AM,
Who said you had to have the manufacturer involved? Dry suits, yes, they are too expensive and size is everything, but BC's and lights? They already have rental gear but it's all the same, LDS's would just need to diversify the rental gear they already have. Yes, this may drive some cost as the parts will not be interchangeable but I would think the rental covers most of that and they are a dealer after all. Being a dealer of, say, Mares and not having anything but SeaQuest rentals! Hows that work? Doesn't that say SeaQuest is more durable and longer lasting. If Mares can't hold up to rental it's not going to hold up for me over time. (Mares and SeaQuest chosen at random, no disrespect to ether brand)

You can demo CCR's in the TC area and at $5k each, cost isn't stopping them so it shouldn't be an issue with other items like DPV and HID's.

What about tanks, everyone has the same tired old 80's. Can I rent a steel 130 in the TC area? What about twin 50's? Single Steel 85 or 95? What about pony/stage? I may want to try an AL40 before I buy it? You can't! Can I rent an Argon for my drysuit to try before I buy? Why not?

A long time ago I was in sales and my mentor said, the more they touch the product the better chance you have of a sale.

I know I would own more stuff if the above was true for LDS. I also wouldn't have a few items but I would have spent the money so it's not a wash in my mind. I have an $800 computer that I don't use, I would like to go back in time and buy twins. As it is, the money is spent and I'm not happy about that so it's not helping my LDS or ME.

PS, The DUI demo's don't sell gear. When you fill in your registration form you have to list the shop that you would be using. You order from them if your honest. I used a little shop in WI.
10-08-2007, 03:14 PM,
The rental idea is great.

Some of mine:

* A great selection of diving and dive related books and texts.
* An active dive club -- have at least one "fun" dive every weekend. Run the club with membership fees, pay for your costs, but help us go out and do something!
* fun non-dive events: have a bar-BQ to meet other divers one month. Have a charity event to raise funds for disabled divers, etc.
10-09-2007, 11:19 AM,
I want a customer accessible gas filling system.  The dive shop would secure the gas filling system by keycard or pincode access.  Customers could fill their tanks 24x7.  The system would keep track of how much gas was delivered and would automatically bill the customer's credit card.  Customers would be required to take a gas filling course before being allowed access to the system.  I would be willing to pay more for these fills due to the convenience.
--Jason