Remember me
Lost Password Register

Perferred / Recommended Ice diving rope
01-05-2009, 09:10 AM,
Perferred / Recommended Ice diving rope
It has been a couple of years since I have had the opportunity to go ice diving and I'm looking forward to it this year, I got a new Lifeguard Systems harness for Christmas and it is begging for cold water.  I am wondering (since my ice diving book is packed away some where) what the perferred or recommended rope is?

also I know on past dives we have been on 100ft lines which I believe is the standard, does anyone ever run longer?

I am also wondering if people are running double ice screws? (you can never be to safe!)
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM,
Re: Perferred / Recommended Ice diving rope
The NAUI course that I took a recommended kermantle rope.  I use a nylon rope.  It is light weight, floats, dries easily, and doesn't tangle.  I also use a rope that has communication line in it, but I prefer the nylon.  Our ropes very from 130 feet to 200 feet. :o ;D, some people freak out at this.  Some people also thought that Nitrox was the devil or voodoo gas as it was known back then.  The sport is constantly evolving and changing.  I am certified cavern and have done some  some cave training.  So being 150 feet away from the hole isn't really a big deal to me. I always have redundant air source and regularly trained for what ifs  scenarios.

You could use 5 ice screws, but would it really be safer? I use one that is 8 inches long.  I use the same screw to winch vehicles out of the ice, I am comfortable in using this screw asmy attachment point for my safety line. What agency are you certified with? We will be posting an ice diving get together soon.
01-05-2009, 03:53 PM,
In practice you will see many types of line (rope). I've had instructors and friends use 3/4 nylon laid line, Hollow Poly, Twisted Poly, Diamond braid nylon... I don't know what's the best but I can only recommend that you should inspect any line you're about to dive for yourself and decide if it's what you want to trust.

I prefer bright yellow 1/2 hollow poly. The line I have is listed as minimum break 2880lb. A common number is 5 to 7 times your load, say 200lb for non-overhead or rescue situations. That said, I should used water rescue line.... but I inspected this line and I'm confident that it's safe for my diving needs.

IMO, Anything that sinks is bad.

Common lines are 130 and 150 or 150 and 200. I have a personal comfort zone of about 100 feet. I've had things happen and I'm happy being close to the hole.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM,
Also, auto-locking beaners should not be used! I had one open on a repel and now days they have added a second 'latch' but that's still crap. Use a normal screw gate.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM,
I prefer #24 braided nylon line on a reel (the idea of being tethered to the surface is not fun to me .... though that was how it was done a few years ago during my PADI Ice Diving class).  I do a primary tie off on the ice, a secondary tie on or near the bottom just below the hole, and then just go diving.  My primary reel only has about 300 feet of line, thus of course if I run out of line, I reel it back in a bit, and head off into a different direction (and of course, this is a good reason to have a well placed hole in the ice).  - Kirk 
01-06-2009, 02:35 PM,

Do you use your doubles when ice diving?
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM,

[/quote]

Do you use your doubles when ice diving?
[/quote]

Yes.  I think going into an overhead environment without redundancy would be a bit scary and un-safe. - Kirk 
01-08-2009, 09:46 AM,
I'm ice certified through PADI but I am a DM under PADI & SDI, let me know when youre ice diving!