Remember me
Lost Password Register

Thank you Smith Diving!
10-21-2007, 09:37 AM,
Thank you Smith Diving!
Hi all. I was certified on May 20th in 2007 at Square lake from Smith Diving. I had purchased all of my gear including a Vyper comp in the console from Smith Diving prior to this checkout dive. Smith Diving did a great job getting me fitted out for the  possibility of future ice diving. It was only 35 degrees in the morning these two days. I passed my open water at noon and the treasure dive was at about 2:00. I didnt have a buddy for the treasure dive so I hooked up with this guy that was a rescue diver. He told me prior to the dive how we should find our brick and then quickly move into the coin field. During the buddy check I found out that He only had 2600 PSI and that I had 3000 in my shiny new tanks. We entered the brick field and we each grabbed a brick. (I replaced the first brick I found with a different one that just felt luckier). Then  we moved into the coin field and started grabbing coins. There were 35 people in a 2000 square foot coin field and everyone was in a frenzy to get rich. There was some times that I almost lost my temporary buddy. Then His main reg started to free flow. He calmly switched to his octo and then proceeded to hit his free flowing octo with his brick. (I Must have missed this in the training manual) It did not quit. I was thinking: "Oh crap. Now he is going to lose all of his air and We will be disqualified as a team and not get anything." I gave him the international "What the #$%!*" hand signal and then he signaled to go up. We did and he got it under control at the surface. We each had about $5.00 in coins and decided that this was enough. We went to shore and received our raffle ticket for our other prizes. We then ate lunch and waited for the big drawing for prizes. I ended up winning a $85.00 mask with my raffle ticket and then when it came to the Brick prizes, I won a Tusa IQ 700 wrist computer. How cool is that... everyone received a 25th annual treasure dive shirt and a good lunch. Thank you Smith Diving for such a great day! I cant say enough good things about Smith Diving and the way they adopted me into this diving family. John
10-23-2007, 03:56 PM,
Re: Thank you Smith Diving!
"switched to his octo and then proceeded to hit his free flowing octo with his brick" <LOL> "Dats funny right there" -Larry the Cable Guy
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-23-2007, 05:25 PM,
Yeah its funny now but at the time I was doing all I can to keep from losing him or needing to get disqualified. The computer I won was worth $450.00 and the mask I won was worth $85.00 although I did not know it at the time. Smile
10-28-2007, 05:06 PM,
I also can't say enough good things about Smith Diving.  I agreed to take the OW class with my husband for his 40th birthday present.  I had previously had a really awful "discover scuba" experience in St. Thomas - it was so awful I never wanted to be in water including a bathtub ever again.  I figured that I'd take the class and never do the check out dives.  Our instructors (Lee and Robin) were great.  They took things slow and didn't push me beyond what I could do.  Several years later, we've earned NAUI Master Diver certification and have logged over 150 dives.  We dove with Smith Diving in various places in MN and have traveled to Bonaire with them.  We've moved from MN to GA but will be traveling with Smith Diving on their trip to Bonaire this winter.  Smith Diving is made up of great people who do a great deal to make diving in MN fun.
10-28-2007, 06:18 PM,
How ironic... My wife bought me a gift certificate for the scuba lessons for my 40th birthday too. I had wanted to do it since I was a kid but never did. Years later My wife asked if she could get a horse and I told her that she could if I could get scuba gear. Well she went through 12 horses before I got the classes and gear. At forty years old I really regret not doing it when I was 12. Just think of the fun that I have missed... Well now I will just have to make up for lost time.