Remember me
Lost Password Register

xerotherm arctic
11-27-2007, 04:07 PM,
xerotherm arctic
I'm looking at getting new undergarment for my diving. Read a lot of good things about "Fourth Element Xerotherm Arctic".
Anyone know if a local shop handles this brand?
                                          Thanks, Al
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM,
Re: xerotherm arctic
Try Scuba Dive & Travel.  One of their past email newsletters mentioned they were carrying xerortherm.
11-27-2007, 05:25 PM,
Going Under also carries these garments.. after a boo boo and falling into Lake Superior while trying to jump on the boat (while wearing my DR undergarment) , Ron Benson borrowed me a extra pair he had and i can say these undergarments are awesome very warm and extremely comfortable.
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM,
Anyone have comparisons to dui c4 or weasel?
--Jason
11-27-2007, 07:13 PM,
I have not used either of these undergarments. I have a new DUI CLX450 and pickup a fleece undergarment thats just too bulky. As such traps too much air in the suit. I dove this past weekend at Wazee, with this fleece and polyprop I was way, way too buoyant. I'm now wearing 8lbs more then before, and could us at least 4 more. This is diving steel doubles.
So I did a search on TDS or  The ScubaBoard can't remember which. Lots of comment on the xerotherm undergarments, most liked them.
What I'm in search of is some combination of undergarments that will keep me warm in 39-40 degree water without adding excessive buoyancy. 
The xerotherm isn't cheap, but if it does the job, then it would be worth the cash.
                                                        Al
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM,
well from the experience i had with it in Superior ,it worked great. dove the wilson ,mayflower, hesper and madiera in them. it is going to be my next purchase. and im in a clx450, had no problems with cold.
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us
11-27-2007, 08:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2007, 08:09 PM by LKunze.)

So I did a search on TDS
[/quote]
I saw that thread as well.  It sounds like they are nice undergarments with better mobility and less bulk.  The drawback is expense.  From what I gathered from that thread you need to layer their Arctic garment with their regular xerotherm garment in order to equal the insulation of a DUI Ultra 400 (aka C4) thinsulate or a Weezle Extreme +.  Probably still less bulky/better mobility with the layering combination but more expensive in the end. 
Here is a link with some info. 
11-27-2007, 08:29 PM,

So I did a search on TDS
[/quote]
I saw that thread as well.  It sounds like they are nice undergarments with better mobility and less bulk.  The drawback is expense.  From what I gathered from that thread you need to layer their Arctic garment with their regular xerotherm garment in order to equal the insulation of a DUI Ultra 400 (aka C4) thinsulate or a Weezle Extreme +.  Probably still less bulky/better mobility with the layering combination but more expensive in the end. 
Here is a link with some info. 
[/quote]
I hear you on cost, what $540.00 or so for the arctic and xerotherm, unreal. I would probably get the xerotherm arctic and add my own base layer. I'm leaning towards the new smartwool products. I pickup a smartwool long sleeve shirt yesterday at REI ($70.00) wore it today at work, outside. I had so much on, hard to say if the smartwool made any difference.
I agree that with the xerotherm combo it would still be less bulky/buoyant then some of the other options.
I did check the above link the other day, but would like to buy locally if I can.
                                          Thanks for the input, Al
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM,

I was really hesitant about shelling out the big bucks for something that looked like just a heavy sweatsuit. I read all of the reviews that I could find on several of the chat boards, talked with the folks at my LDS and tried some on. Still I was hesitant and after going back and forth for a month, took the plunge. I bought just the heavier Arctic set, and it was everything that they claimed that it was. It is warm enough for Lake Superior diving or Ice Diving, (not that there is much temperature difference). I have paired it with military poly longjohns and was too warm.
The awesome part of the Fourth Element is that it does not increase your buoyancy and trap excess air like the Weezle. It is smooth on the outer surface, so donning & doffing your drysuit is much easier. It also will not plug up your exhaust valve like the fluffy ones do. The warmth is quite a bit better than either the DUI or the Pinnacle undergarments. They dry quickly and come with the matching booties. (The booties run smaller than you think, so double check them before you order).
In short, they were the best purchase that I made last year. I actually was able to drop weight by switching from the fluffy undergarments with the high $ longjohns and gained warmth.....
it is good to be warm!
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
11-27-2007, 08:47 PM,
Great feedback... thanks.  I really miss my old poly suit every time I put on my dui c4.  The dui really limits my mobility and I have to add at least 6 lbs.  I would love to try this stuff sometime.  Any shops in town carry it?
--Jason