Remember me
Lost Password Register

A note to our members
12-01-2007, 06:47 PM,
A note to our members
Dear members, over the past year a small group of local individuals have been airing out their legal disputes in our forum.  In some cases these individuals have registered multiple accounts in violation of our terms of service.  We apologize for their behavior.  They are not representative of the hundreds of local divers across Minnesota. Minnesota divers are decent, honest, good natured, and hard working people. The purpose of mnscuba is to promote education, communication, and cooperation within our regional dive community.  We are more committed to this purpose than ever before.

We have taken steps to remove members who have violated our terms of service.  Some of these former members wrap themselves in the Constitution and feel that they are the protectors of our First Amendment rights.  We strongly share their respect for the First Amendment.  Yet even Free Speech has its limits.  I cannot shout "fire" in a movie theater without committing a crime.  I cannot speak a false claim that knowingly harms the reputation of another person.  I cannot stand in a dive shop and shout profanities at customers without risking my removal from the property. In the same way a person cannot come into our home and disrupt the conversations of our friends.  When you do that you violate our free speech and we exercise our constitutional rights by giving you the boot.

Thank you for making mnscuba a great place! Happy Holidays!
--Jason
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM,
Re: A note to our members
thank you
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM,
I suggest rec.scuba for those who don't like to be censored.  I've been using Usenet for nearly 25 years and love the 1st Amendment beauty of it all.  Otherwise, if you like civility, post here...I like both options.  I have a very thick skin but I also like the sparse info provided here.
12-02-2007, 12:57 AM,
Thank you Jason and thank you Lonnie.

While this is a Minnesota scuba board, the majority of members seem to be from the Twin City metro area and I've met and dove with many of the same people thru this board. I 've, also, visited most of the shops in the area. This board allowed me to get connected to diving locally. Without it, I would probably still be trying to decide if I should buy gear. I know I dive more because of this forum.

I follow this board more than I care to admit and I know of many of the people who have been offended here or on other websites, as Jason said, this last year. That includes people I have not met personally. As an author, know your audience! Some of the things directed to others I take offense to and I will exercise my right by not associating with the offending party.

I can't imagine what a new person to this forum is thinking. Do I partake in this hostel environment? Well, I can say please do. It's one of the best ways to be an active diver. Insert yourself into this forum, visit dive shops and attend their activities.

Again, thank you Jason and Lonnie for the commitment to keeping this forum as place to learn and communicate what the dive community has to offer.

Dan

12-02-2007, 09:31 AM,
Thank you.  I agree with your views and am glad to see they will be constrained in the future.
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM,
I will be the first to apologize to everyone if anything i have said has offended.  It has never been my intention to offend people and I only hope that as many people as possible out there find a way to use this site as a connection to others that share the same love of diving that I and others do.  It, as of recent, has seemed like the crap is getting pretty thick around here and i agree that it is time for the giant pooper scooper to clean it all up.  My only request is that folks do their best to not say things that are bound to be taken in a bad manner...ie...dont kick someone when they are already down..no matter the topic....there are alot of people on this forum that others dont know, nor do they know of their connections to either other posters, shops, charters..or situations....feeling can get hurt and this is when the crap starts flying.....

My best wishes to all..happy diving
Oops Did I really say that?????
12-02-2007, 03:17 PM,
I too agree.

Some time last week this topic of courtesy came up at work. A friend said they just learned that one of the reasons their child prefers Instant Messaging over face to face is they can say things they would never say directly. Maybe that's the barometer, if you wouldn't say it to a strangers face, don't post it. Be nice and agree to disagree in a civilized manner befitting the noble sport of diving.

I'm going to ignore anyone looking to start a flame. They will get board and move on and we can get back to enjoying the forums.

Alt-F4
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.