Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Conditions
01-08-2003, 08:37 PM,
Dive Conditions
Chris, are you still planning on adding a "dive conditions" feature for local lakes to the board? If I recall there was some talk of that this past summer? Actually I just found the post in this forum, I should have replied to that thread. Anyway, I think that sounds like a great idea. Smile
01-09-2003, 07:34 AM,
Re:Dive Conditions
Yeah, I'd love to... but I don't have the programming skills to implement it. I've been trying to find something similar that would work but haven't had any luck finding 'just the right thing' yet...

Any programmers on board? Smile Probably pretty easy for someone who knows what they're doing. I know enough to modify code to get it to work, but starting from scratch would be pretty funny.
01-09-2003, 09:57 AM,
Chris, I'll probably get around to it when I get a free weekend. It really wouldn't take more than a couple hours to put together. How do you want it to work?
--Jason
01-09-2003, 10:09 AM,
Wow, that would be cool!

Main page would show current locations with latest conditions.
(Maybe a weather icon to display current weather from one of the weather sites.)

On the main page, there would be an option to add/modify a location. A member can then view the current sites, add a new dive site or modify an existing dive site.

Some (well, probably all) dive sites have multiple locations to dive as well... so maybe the main page would display the last updated data, then when you click on the dive site it would show all data recorded for that location and other locations on that dive site. (Wazee comes to mind as I write this.)

I think you had it pretty nailed down as far as what information should be included; vis, thermocline(s), surface temp, etc. Would also be nice to have an area for additional comments (cool finds, aquatic life, etc). I think this would eventually replace the Lake Info page once we have enough data logged. Which brings up another idea, have a placeholder for a graphic and perhaps a link to a map (MapQuest or something).

This would be updated by divers registered on this site, so their input would be equal to the reliability of the data. In other words members, we need your help. I think this will be one of the greatest values (next to the forum) that this site will have to offer... I have yet to see anything like this anywhere. Looking forward to it.

If it's not too difficult, maybe we could have a running log of the lakes. Then we can determine if there is a trend in vis, etc. This way we can make an entry in July and look back to see how it compares to April and so on. This might be version 2.0, but something to think about anyway.

One last thought on this... I think it will be necessary to have some sort of feature that would not allow you to modify a record that is newer than the one being put in. Otherwise we'll have a log (someday) that jumps back and forth and it will be difficult to see the data in the proper order. (Example; Jane Doe does a dive on the 15th and doesn't have time to log it on the site until following weekend and in that time John Doe updates it with information from the 20th. If Jane Doe updates it, the information from the 15th would replace the information from the 20th, but we'd still like that data from the 15th to be logged.) Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself on this, just something to think about.

Maybe pull-down menus for most of the data?

Date: MM DD YYYY
Thermocline: Yes/No If yes, depth?
Visibility: 0-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20, etc.
Water Temp: 33-40, 41-45, 45-50, etc.
Air Temp: Same concept as above.

Also the ability to add new locations to dive sites so they can be selected from a pull-down menu as well to reduce duplicates.

Again, all just things to consider. Smile
01-09-2003, 12:46 PM,
Hey Chris-
Just curious when I read this and other things on this board, Do you ever do or think about anything other than diving???
;D ;D ;D

I thought I was obsessed!!!

Hey, I didn't dream about scuba LAST night!!!

rofl

Seriously that sounds awesome!!!
I would love to be able to read about lake conditions when I am planning my dives!!!
You Rock
Lisa
01-09-2003, 01:51 PM,
LOL

Yeah, I think about other stuff once in a while. Wink

I guess I look at it this way...

Have a website that gives people information and they will come back.

Make it free, simple, fun and enjoyable and they will contribute their knowledge.

I just think it's fun watching the site grow and all the information people share with one another... it's truly awesome!
04-28-2003, 07:26 PM,
Chris and Jason,
I was just wondering how the "Dive Condition" section is coming along. And since it's near the beginning of open water diving I hope soon!? I am interested in seeing how fast conditions change during the year and from year to year. I like Chris's idea of pull down menus or at least multiple choice for someone to input.
04-29-2003, 11:47 PM,
Oh no the pressure is on. Wink I have begun work on the dive conditions site. I need a couple days where I can barracade myself in a room with a computer. The problem right now is that the water is open.... and calling to me... can't... stop... diving...
--Jason
04-30-2003, 07:44 AM,
Jasonbaker quote:
Quote:
Good one, I feel your pain..

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-30-2003, 08:12 AM,
Jason,

If you lock yourself in your room and knock out the Dive Conditions i give you two thumbs up. Giving up your personal time to work on the web page is amazing. As much as i enjoy the board i don't think i would give up a weekend locked in a room, when i could be out with everyone else on the board diving local lakes. You are a good man. My suggestion is to wait until the winter time. As members we can post dive conditions were we feel fit. Its not going to hurt anything to hold off for another couple months. Enjoy the summer and your diving.

Later Jason.