Remember me
Lost Password Register

Proton 42 Metal
12-19-2007, 11:34 AM,
Proton 42 Metal
My brother is looking for dive gear and could use a bit of advice. I'm too bias to be fair. I like my Apex.

Who owns a Proton 42 (metal or otherwise) and what do you think about it as a blue water reg for a new diver? What about cold and deep?

What about the Mares products in general? Are they good value?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM,
Re: Proton 42 Metal
I've owned a Mares Abyss for a couple years now and it's been solid.  One thing I like is that the inhalation effort remains very consistant throughout various position, depths and temps.  My only complaint was some jaw fatigue (it's a bit heavier than other regs I've used) but changing to a custom mouthpiece fixed that.  If I remember right the Proton was a bit easier to fine tune for breathing effort and is setup a little better for cold water and ice dives. (I've had no problems with the Abyss with either)  Hope this helps!

My favorite thing about the Internet is that you get to go into the private world of real creeps without having to smell them.
12-19-2007, 07:40 PM,
Re: Proton 42 Metal
I dont have personal experience with the reg..i have a friend that has been pretty happy with it.  He doesnt do a ton of really cold water diving, so it hasnt been tested in 35deg temps, but he has not had freeflow issues.  I have heard that they breathe well.

We were not a dealer of Mares, but did happen to pick one up when we closed down the store down south....its a V32 Proton Metal....i dont have a box for it but do have the mares display for it.. ;D...if there is interest, i could sell if for a heck of a price...listed at 575.00..PM me if intersted
Oops Did I really say that?????