Remember me
Lost Password Register

What gear is my fin in?
12-17-2007, 04:10 PM,
What gear is my fin in?
I'm speechless.  I'm not saying the technology doesn't work.  It just simply struck me as really unnecessary -- in a funny sort of way. See:

--Jason
12-17-2007, 04:19 PM,
Re: What gear is my fin in?
You could also say it's a nice feature.  Some one that's new to diving would appreciate 1st gear as it makes the fin easier to move through the water.  If you had to swim into a strong current you could choose the 3rd gear to give you that extra boost.  So really by having 3 gears the same pair of fins can adapt to the style of diving you do.  I am leaving for Truk Lagoon for New Years with a group and I plan to take a pair with me and try them out.  A friend of mine used them in the Galapagos Islands and really fell in love with them.  He's been diving for over 25 years.
12-17-2007, 06:12 PM,
Yea....
Sometimes I really think simple may be better.....But I'll wait and see.  I've certainly been guilty of buying things for the new gadget look.

P.S.  My BEST fins are still the same ones I learned with in the 70's  the hard black rubber rocket fins.
12-18-2007, 07:34 AM,
If they're anything like spear fishing bands,  They get weaker after every use and are very affected by UV rays.  Just one more thing that could possibly go wrong. What happens when a band breaks? I first tried the split fins because they were supposed to be so "fast" :Smile the other guys could  Basically swim circles around me.  I like my free diving fins(omer millennium) for speed and power  When spear fishing.  They can be a little awkward when on the boat. And I use cresii rondines for everything else.  Size does matter ;D
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM,
Fins are just like the rest of your gear.  Not everyone likes the same gear.  Free divers obviously need a different fin than scuba divers use.  And tech divers have there preferences for fins.  On the question of if the bands wear out or break I am told replacement parts will be available and some people might want to change the color of the bands.  I love the split fins that I have been using but, this is a different technology and from what I have already heard a lot of people like them.  I will be trying them out shortly in Truk Lagoon.  Isn't it exciting that manufactures come up with new and different product for us to use.  It would really be boring if everything stayed the same.
I would also like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
12-18-2007, 10:34 AM,

I wasn't saying, everybody needs to use the same gear that I use.  :Smile I was just relating my experience from bands and fins.  My personal preference.  I am a scuba diver, and I use free diving fins.  Maybe that wasn't quite so obvious to you.  I am also a tech diver.  My question was, what happens when they break on a dive and you are at 130'?  Do you carry your replacement bands with you? Or do you just swim in circles? How much are replacement bands?
I am more into function than fashion.  I do not sell or endorse any diving products for profit.  I freely relate my experiences that others may benefit from it.  I am glad for you that you are excited about them. 
12-18-2007, 11:03 AM,
Sure, I think it is exciting that manufacturers continue to innovate.  I guess it remains to be seen if this is truly an innovation or just a marketing gimmick.  I would try them if given the opportunity. 

Here's a mini rant regarding fins.  Why do fin manufacturers continue to produce rubber fin straps? Or those ABS buckle systems?  I can't see any advantages, other than probably production cost, over spring straps.  And I've owned both types of straps for years.  Maybe the margins are really good on replacement rubber fin straps.  This is an area where it would be trivial for fin manufacturers to innovate. 

--Jason
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM,
Ok I wasn't doing a put down just putting in another frame of thought.  Sorry!  On the bands breaking  looking at how much diving the normal diver does I think it would take a lot of years for that to occur.  If the person does a lot of diving they would probably plan on replacing them on a regular basis just like they have there gear serviced regularly.  I guess I just don't see it as much of a problem but then I guess time will tell.
On the question of the springs vs straps  I know some of it is cost.  If you look at Atomic they have there Liquid Blue Split fins with straps at a retail of $199.  Now they also have there new Smoke on the Water which is the same fin other than color but, they added the springs in stead of the straps.  The retail price on Smoke on the Water is $249.00 or if you purchase there spring straps separately they are S59.95 That's an increase of $50.00 when they come with the fins and $60 if you add them in later.  Some people don't want to pay the extra money for the springs and others do but, it is a price point.  I would like to see Aqua-lung offer spring straps for the fin.  So far they don't have any so I would have to use after market straps.  I believe they are looking at offering spring straps in the future. 
12-18-2007, 06:13 PM,
Okay, thanks for the info.  I didn't know that Atomic made fins with spring straps.  I'll accept that as progress.  They look spiffy (although I'm not wild about quick release buckles).  My sense is that the customer is paying a bit of a premium for spring straps on those fins.  And the Deep Purple reference... who is running marketing over there?? haha  Smile
--Jason
12-19-2007, 09:36 AM,
The Atomic spring straps are more but, they are differnet from the other ones I have seen on the market.  To Quote from Atomic ""Smoke on the Water" is fitted with our newest innovation, the Atomic Aquatics Spring Strap. Like every product we make, our innovative design re-thinks the old and improves upon the concept. What’s unique is the "variable pitch" of the stainless steel spring (Pat.Pend). Unlike other spring straps that have a constant coil of the same diameter, our new spring straps have a variable pitch and section geometry (they change shape) in specific regions of the strap. These special shaped regions allow the spring to stretch more easily for a more comfortable fit and make them stronger to resist breakage or permanent deformation if they are over-stretched or abused. The spring straps are fitted to our patented quick release buckle system that permits simple, one handed removal or attachment. These new straps will also retrofit any existing Atomic Aquatics open heel Split Fins by simply snapping them on in place of the old straps"
They say it so much better than I can.
Thanks