Remember me
Lost Password Register

What was the coolest dive or trip you did in 2007?
12-19-2007, 06:48 PM,
What was the coolest dive or trip you did in 2007?
As we approach the end of 2007, diving for most of us is on hold till we start seeing green stuff on the ground again.

I know I did not get out diving <for fun> nearly as much as I would have liked to this year.  We took a trip to the Bahamas this year, and it was actually the first "real" vacation I've had in more years than I can count on my fingers!  That counted for a lot, and I think the coolest dive (dives actually) were on our last two days on the boat. 

We had anchored off the Hesperus and did a day-time dive.  Visibility was not very good actually, so I think it turned off every one but one couple and myself to doing a night dive there.  Anyway, during the first dive, we saw lots of sea-turtles.  The last time I had saw that many turtles on a single dive was off West Palm Beach about 5 years ago.  It was getting pretty late in the day, so there was a huge school of barracuda right by the wreck too, just waiting for a meal to swim by.  Unfortunately, my camera was only working intermittently working, so all I have is mental images and a few low-quality digital images.  The night dive was really cool.  We were a buddy-trio, and since we were familiar with the layout of the wreck, we could hit all the nifty spots in the dark. After I had observes enough sleeping fish (including Lionfish!) and turtles, I swam away into the turtle grass bed nearby.  I came across a group of squid and a long-tentacled Jelly-Hydromedusa, soon my primary light's batteries died, so I lit up the backup and joined my buddies and took in the remainder of the dive using his aircraft-landing light bright video lights.

The next day we did 3 dives, but I think it was Theo's wreck we did that was just such a magazine-like photo op that I had visions of smashing my non-working camera with a 5-lb weight.   Viz was really good and there were lots of swim throughs that would have just been perfect for framing shots of all the fish swimming by.  Plus, it was just soooo cool to swim on a big wreck without a drysuit, pony bottle, lots of weight, a hood, and so forth!

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest ;D and get some interesting banter going on the board!  I hope that everyone has a very merry Christmas and a great 2008!
12-20-2007, 07:37 AM,
Re: What was the coolest dive or trip you did in 2007?
By far the best dive of 2007 was a 10 day trip to Bonaire with Bonnie & Ozzie of Scuba Dive and Travel.  Not only were the companions the best, but the dives there were spectacular.  The ability to just drive up to a spot on the shore, then dive it at leisure, is definitely my preferred way to dive.  The variety of coral and fish was spectacular, water was warm !!  and the weather was fine.  All in all the best 19 dives I ever had.  ;D
12-20-2007, 08:10 AM,
My coolest dive of 2007 did not offer me good visibility, warm waters, sunshine, wrecks or and fish to speak of.  The weather was poor, conditions were average and while i did see the bus and helicopter, this is not what made it so cool...It was one dive in Ore-Be-Gone for a total of 25 minutes.  It marked my return to the water after better than a year spent recovering from the spinal infection and surgeries that preceeded and followed.  While i am confident that you all have visited more beautiful places and saw more beautiful sights this year...i am confident that I have had the best dive of my life Smile
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
12-20-2007, 11:30 AM,
Night dive on the Bermuda. Munising Bay.

Shallow maybe 30 feet. Very complete wreck. The WOW was seeing the stem come out of the dark. I was on the sand, following a guildline to the bow. Seeing a bit of wood I started panning my light up the stem some 20 feet tall. I could just start to see the fair line of the hull and the size. It pulled a WOW out of my throat before I had time to stop it.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM,
The Bermuda is one of my favorite dives, but I haven't been to Munising in years.  I need to get back there.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
12-20-2007, 02:18 PM,
I went to the madeira and hesper for the first time.  I'm sure it's always exciting but it's particularly exciting the first time you go.
12-20-2007, 03:39 PM,
I am going to have to list two. I had a great trip to Isle Royale this summer and there wasn't a dive that I did not enjoy. Also did a summer trip to Cozumel. While I love going to and diving Cozumel, one of the highlights was snorkeling with the whale sharks in Holbox. That was quite an experience.
12-20-2007, 03:43 PM,
For me probably the long dive (almost 3 hours) all the way around Perch that Dan G and I did.  I saw several things in Perch that I hadn't seen before which made it a lot of fun.  We also saw two big turtles along the way which was pretty cool.
12-20-2007, 09:47 PM,
snorkeling is always quite an experience!
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-21-2007, 01:18 PM,
My favorite dives weren't really about where they were either.  I had two favorite types of dives this year.

1)  My favorite dives were when I was wreck diving with long time friends/family.

2)  My favorite dives were the dives I snuck off and did when no one was looking.  My job put me on the road all over MN and somehow as busy as I was...I always found time to dive.  Leaving a work meeting and going straight to a dive site and having no one be the wiser...awesome!