Remember me
Lost Password Register

IceDiveGreen 12-30-2007 1-12-08
12-26-2007, 03:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM by Shooter.)
IceDiveGreen 12-30-2007 1-12-08
Meet at the public landing at 9 a.m..  We will have everything there including shelter, heat, safety ropes, locking carabiners, and an open hole to dive in.  Bring what ever you need for your own personal dive gear.  This is not a dive shop sponsored event.  You are liable for your own safety and your own gear.  There will be no handholding at this dive site.  We will have a plow on the four wheeler for shoveling,  Also a trailer to transport gear and divers to the dive site.  I'll report later as to any vehicle traffic and ice conditions. 

zoom up, and it's the lake to the east
12-28-2007, 03:39 PM,
Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007

;D okay,  :Smile in the spirit of the season, I will hold your hand if you need it. The damn Yankee spear fishing crew will be there.  We will be diving......
12-28-2007, 07:38 PM,
Hi Shooter. Sounds like fun. I wish I could make it but I'm not certified for ice yet. The ice should be good but stay away from the other "not-so public" access to the right of the main access. 2 years ago I fell through the ice there with a 3/4 ton Hemi. It was only about 3 feet deep but the ice there stays kinda rotten because of the run-off coming downhill from the road. This other access is to the Right when looking at the lake from the main access, past the big sand hill and past the small bay. That area used to be my old stomping ground. In fact straight out from the main access and a little to the left the whole bay is only about 3'-5' deep and I left 1/2 a water ski there when I wiped out. Take it cool and have fun.
12-28-2007, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2007, 09:37 PM by arcFlash.)
ArcFlash will not need hand holding but if you could put on my mittens...and...um' how about my fins?  ;D

Thanks Shooter.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-29-2007, 07:00 AM,
The new 3 foot bar came for my giant Stihl chainsaw yesterday.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
This ought to make cutting a hole a bit easier.  The last ice dive shooter and I made last year was a real challenge....We had to get through three feet of ice with a chainsaw that had an 18 inch bar  :o  :o ( ya had ta REALLY want to go diving that day!)

We'll see ya out there at 0900.
12-29-2007, 12:36 PM,
9 inches of ice, plenty of snowmobile and four wheeler traffic. Sounds like it's a little slushy...............

Attached is my biggest ice diving booty to date.

Attached Files
.jpg   Nate_and_the_ST_croix_rod_WOW![1].JPG (Size: 177.52 KB / Downloads: 133)
12-29-2007, 12:37 PM,

;D, poor little kitten  ;D
12-29-2007, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM by mcdiver.)
You know, it sounds like a good idea. I will empty the ice fishing gear from the truck and see everyone there bright and early.

Any plans to do some "grilling" on the lake? I will bring my little propane grill along with some brauts and fixin's.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
12-30-2007, 08:37 PM,
  ;D WOW what a day  ;D

The three of us (Shooter, ArcFlash, and I) met at the landing at 9:00.  Thanks to Nate bringing the trailer and a 4 wheeler getting our stuff out onto the lake was the easy part.  Most of the lake ice was fine, but there was a very wide section of DEEP slush out towards the middle.  Nate did find us a way through it and we were off to the sunken island.  The disadvantage about a sunken island is that they're really not easy ta find by looking around on top of the water.  Note to self (next time bring GPS and mark the dang coordinates). Opening the hole with the new chainsaw went off without any problems, as did setting up the new 10X16 shelter. The others gave me the opportunity to be first diver.  I had some challenges with my first dive as I found that my BC inflator hose was slowly leaking into my BC  Sad.  As for "hand holding"  it would certainly appear that I'm still the one needing the most assistance.  Both of the other divers got plenty of practice getting me into my double wet hoods and fullface mask. 

The dives were amazing though  ;D  ;D

We did locate a SHIPWRECK  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin. Ahhh an old Spanish Galleon......  :Smile  :Smile and no shipwreck would be complete with out the chest of treasure filled with golden coins.  OK - OK - OK so maybe it wasn't ACTUALLY a Spanish galleon.  I guess it more closely resembled an open bow runabout, with an inboard engine and the lower unit detached and lying in the sand a couple feet away.  And the treasure chest you ask (which I absconded with incidentally) was made of plastic and filled with fishing tackle...  It would appear that the ship had had gone down ta Davy's locker a fair time back.  The license sticker expired in 02.  I really did some good pirate cursing about not bringing my camera and underwater housing.  The visibility was fair to good and was estimated to be about 25-30 feet.  Photos of the wreck would have been pretty nifty.  At one point Nate observed that the keys were still in the ignition.  He tried to turn the key but nothing happened, he said the key was stuck  :Smile  I didn't believe him.... I think he just flooded it  8)  8) 

The general area was littered with anchors, as each of us found one during our dives. I also managed to find a fishing rod (pretty poor shape, but hey treasure is treasure).         

One of the most amazing things was that when I exited the water on my last dive I scented an unbelievable aroma.... Nate had been deep frying some grouper fillets...  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  If there is one thing I love as much as diving it has got to be eating - - - - ESPECIALLY TASTY HOT GROUPER served hot after an ice dive!!!!

Thanks guys I HAD A GREAT DAY!!

My only question now that I'm back home is....When ta go again

Attached Files
.jpg   sunken pirate ship.jpg (Size: 1.46 KB / Downloads: 297)
.jpg   Tresure chest.jpg (Size: 108.93 KB / Downloads: 52)
12-31-2007, 09:34 AM,
I sent Shooter what I think should be a lat/log to the structure we were on. The chart I used didn't have the same contour lines as Shooters but it give a location of the central dome.

Next time I'll pull together some maps for us, it's that sailor in me. I like good charts.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.